distilling ethanol

boris_73

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is indeed possible :)

although a 1`st distilation will only ever give 98% pure as it forms an azeotrope with water. but with the addition of Calcium metal to this 98% it`ll "lock up" that 2%, and so on a second distilation, you`ll get 100% pure alc (don`t drink it all at once, save me some!) :)

calcium chloride will give away it`s water on heating. you could probaly use Calcium Oxide though, the hydroxide formed takes quite alot of heat to break down.

Calcium Metal is the prefered method though :)

edit: and forget any ideas of using sodium or potassium metals, it`ll strip the OH in the alc and replace it!

Yipes! Pure calcium metal seems to be quite expensive. Most likely, a calcium compound of some sort would be a better solution (as suggested earlier). Or, if you have money, you can always buy 100g calcium from kno3.com, it costs £65 though. :D

it would still be impossible to determine the amount needed since you`ve not provided a Quantity of alc that you wish to re-distill.

a gram may be fine for 500ml for instance, but would do little for a 30 litre barrel! :)

I`ve just locked this thread until you all read this.

WHAT are you on about? this is NOT the place to be having private chats regarding another matter, that`s what PM is for or another thread.

keep this one on topic, read all you have to read now, as I`ll be deleting the non relevant posts in 5 mins.

OK Carry ON, and "keep it Real" this time!

well 2% of 1 litre is 20ml.

so work out how much calcium metal is needed to react with 20ml of water to make CaOH, and that`ll be your answer, I CBA to get the calc and read up on the periodic table LOL :)

it`s advisible to add the Ca metal in excess though (not much, just a little over).

Hmmh, I remember when I debated about if 100% ethanol is possible with a couple of my friends. So, 98% is achievable with just distilling, and when calcium is added, even the last drops of water are removed making a theorically 100% solution (when distilled once more)?

Edit: You are indeed correct YT. 100% ethanol has a boiling point of about 78 degrees Celsius.

We do some alcohol studies in my laboratory. Thus, we have solutions of 100% alcohol. My professor always says however, that once the bottle is opened technically it is no loner 100% alcohol as it will absorb some water from the atmosphere and be diluted (a negligible amount mind you, but nonetheless).