entropy

Guest spacetime1

Is there no process possible where the entropy of the universe increases. If so' date=' then what is the need of using the word spontaneous in the second law of thermodynamics? Why don't we just write any process?

[/quote']

Did you mean decrease? Entropy increases all the time.

Is there no process possible where the entropy of the universe decreases? If so' date=' then what is the need of using the word spontaneous in the second law of thermodynamics? Why don't we just write any process?

spacetime

http://www.geocities.com/physics_all/index.html[/quote']

Well, unlike Newtons laws the laws of thermodynamics can have a fair amount of diversity in how they are written, the wording varies from source to source.

But entropy always increases in a closed system. If the universe is a closed system (it seems to be) then net entropy always increases. In can decrease in certain parts, but only if it goes up in another part.

Entropy is predicted to go the other way around if the universe begins to shrink. This has consequences for the human phycie (sorry for the SP error), which means that (as entropy goes in the same direction as conicesness) we would remember tommorows events today, and yesterdays events would be a mystery to us. I know thats a difficult concept to grasp, but thats what i Read anyway.

Entropy is predicted to go the other way around if the universe begins to shrink.[/b'] This has consequences for the human phycie (sorry for the SP error), which means that (as entropy goes in the same direction as conicesness) we would remember tommorows events today, and yesterdays events would be a mystery to us. I know thats a difficult concept to grasp, but thats what i Read anyway.

(emphasis added)

Source, please.

Any unsubstantiated link between entropy and consciousness is bunk, until demonstrated otherwise.

Is there no process possible where the entropy of the universe decreases? If so' date=' then what is the need of using the word spontaneous in the second law of thermodynamics? Why don't we just write any process?

spacetime

http://www.geocities.com/physics_all/index.html[/quote']

Ill scan in the page about entropy & concienceness in a minute.

But there are times when entropy decreases in QED. I think (trying to rememeber now) that when a photon excites an electron that is entropy decrease, or atleast when it releases a photon and drops an energy level.

well heres the best i can come up with it talks about reversing entropy if the universe shirnks , youlll just have to trust me that it is beleived that conciesness points the same way as entropy (interms of arrows where time always points one way) [url']http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/dec99/946553805.As.r.html[/url]

It sounds like he's saying that if you assume the final entropy is zero (or whatever we started with), then it has to decrease, which is assuming the answer.