Trisection of angles-similarly

bob boben

The solution of mathematical tasks in the ancient Greek

Trisection of angles

angle=0° - no solution

180°>angle>0° - general solution (consists of 4 parts)

the first part

post-56040-0-63176500-1315127085_thumb.png

1.ruler AB

2.ruler AC

3.caliper A-AD

4.ruler DE

post-56040-0-48212600-1315127127_thumb.png

5.caliper D-DE

6.caliper E-DE

7.ruler FG intersects DE the point H ,DH=HE

post-56040-0-67219400-1315127184_thumb.png

8.caliper H-HE

The proof of the trisection of an angle is mathematically equivalent to proving that 3 is an even number.

Do you really want your first post here to say

"I think three is an even number!"?

when you look at the other three parts , then you will make surethat it is possible, see you for 20-30h,

Edited by bob boben

when you look at the other three parts , then you will make surethat it is possible, see you for 20-30h,

Should we sell tickets?

The point is that since it has been proved impossible, all you will do is post up an error of some sort. There's every chance that someone here will spot that mistake.

Should we sell tickets?

The point is that since it has been proved impossible, all you will do is post up an error of some sort. There's every chance that someone here will spot that mistake.

There is a better chance that no one who understands the issue will bother to read it. Every math department regularly encounters someone who insists that he has solved the general trisection problem.

It is one of the things that one encounters in an abstract algebra class on Galois theory. The trisection problem is impossible. This does not mean that no one has found the answer. It means that it has been proved rigorously that no classical straightedge and compass construction can exist that would trisect an arbitrary angle.

second part

post-56040-0-95816200-1315219589_thumb.png

9.caliper D-DH , gets the point D1

10.straightedge (ruler) HD1

11.caliper D-DH

12.caliper D1-D1D

13.straightedge ( ruler ) HI1 , gets the point D2

post-56040-0-61239400-1315219639_thumb.png

14.caliper D2-D2D

15.caliper D-DD2

16.straightedge (ruler) HI2 , gets the point D3

17.caliper D3-D3D

18.caliper D-DD3

19.straightedge (ruler) HI3 , gets the point D4

20.caliper D4-D4D

post-56040-0-90495300-1315219663_thumb.png

21.caliper D-DD4

22.straightedge (ruler) HI4 , gets the point D5

23.this procedure with a compass and a ruler is actually a series of numbers (finite, infinite)

Where is trisection? I see bisection in your drawings.

From what I gather this explanation comes in three parts - and yes so far I can only see bisection. I presume the OP is going to make many many very small divisions at the right hand side of the diagram and then claim that two of lines formed cross the arc or line between AB at the trisection points - this will be an estimation and not generalisable (as has been pointed out above)

third part

computer program-coreldraw 13

http://www.fileserve.com/file/sZpPSyf/T ... -DOKAZ.cdr

png image

http://www.fileserve.com/file/EpEKHxx/p ... ection.png

the picture is

-circle

-diameter circle AB

-points on the diameter of the circle A(0°),B(180°), C (AD=DC=CB) , D , F(center of the circle ,FB-radius circle)

-tendon EF

I went from the assumptions that there are lines in a circle which is the first point (180 °> point> 0 °), the last point is (360 °> point> 180 °) to the intersection with the circle diameter (AB) be the point C (D).

I shared a circle with corners (second part , 9 to 23).

I found the string (EF, 3.75 ° -187.5 °) which passes through the point C ,which means that we have the angle trisection.

fourth part

post-56040-0-50237800-1315306071_thumb.png

24.caliper D-DD5-(22.)

25.caliper E-DD4-(19.)

26.straightedge (ruler) D4D5 , gets the point H1

27.straightedge (ruler) AH1

28.caliper H1-H1D , gets the point H2

29.straightedge (ruler) AH2

There is a better chance that no one who understands the issue will bother to read it. Every math department regularly encounters someone who insists that he has solved the general trisection problem.

It is one of the things that one encounters in an abstract algebra class on Galois theory. The trisection problem is impossible. This does not mean that no one has found the answer. It means that it has been proved rigorously that no classical straightedge and compass construction can exist that would trisect an arbitrary angle.

I know that, and you know that but I suspect that there's someone else here who doesn't know it (yet).

However I'm sure someone will find it in amusing challenge to find the flaws in the argument (they have already started)

I wasn't kidding about this being the equivalent of proving that 3 is an even number.

The crassly oversimplified version is that you can find square roots with a straight edge and compasses, you can find the square roots of square roots too. In fact you can find any 2^nth root by repeating the process.

But 3 isn't of the form 2^n

(not least, because all such numbers are even apart from the trivial case of 2^0).

You need to be able to solve a cubic equation to trisect an angle and you can't solve cubic equations with only even powers.

So, if he proves that he can trisect an angle, he has shown that 3 is an even number.

However notwithstanding reality, I confidently predict that the OP will triumphantly bring forth the 4th part of his series: which will be tosh.

(Incidentally, I know that's a dumbed down version but it does make it clear that you are probably wasting your time trying to double a cube or trisect an angle. The full proof that it's really impossible is on the web (isn't everything?) if you want to look for it.)

The hand waving argument proof has the advantage that the maths isn't difficult. Many people are not that familiar with Galois and his work.

90° is feasable too.

Curiously, I was never interested in the question.

Yesterday I made a simple thought: it is possible to make a circle, draw 3 smaller circles (of random radius) upon its circumference, and create an arc, divided in 3 equal parts, forming a random angle.

I wondered why the reverse construction was impossible (beginning from the angle and dividing the arc). As if geometry had a direction that cannot always be reversed, like entropy and time...

bob boben ,

I like to see people attempting to develop these types of things , good luck in your supposed impossible task . By reliable accounts it can't be done , that doesn't stop you trying and if you have the conclusion some time in the future that it can't be done we may then all be gone .

This isn't a development because it can't go anywhere or do anything.

This is an attempt at a development which is what I admire .

It's not "supposed" impossible; its proven impossible.

I am supposing it is impossible , as I did not see a proof of impossibility , I do know who I am willing to believe if they say it is impossible .

It would be better if he spent his time helping little old ladies across the road or, at least, trying to do something where he might succeed.

You could be surprised how a person could receive an A+ for trying to prove something which is impossible to prove as it doesn't really matter sometimes if somebody is right or wrong , it is about the persistence of an argument . Take law as an example , people are committing crime all day long and lawyers are convincing people of their innocence even if only their guilt can be proven . Maybe the original poster could take a lesson from the legal profession in so far as trying not to prove the geometry but trying to convince people of it's proof first which could be much easier .

as I did not see a proof of impossibility ,

it is about the persistence of an argument

Then you should have followed the link in the 4th post in this thread.

and

It is indeed about persistence of an argument.

If you persist after it has been proved that you are wrong then, at best, you are a fool.

• 4 months later...

Rockas - I have not had time to read your paper fully, but two things:

1. It can be proven that one cannot in general trisect the angle

2. I think from the brief glance I gave your work that it merely shows that an angle that is constructed is half the size of the original angle. This is not, I believe, something new - what you need to be able to show in geometric steps is how to trisect an angle between two lines and (this time shouting for emphasis) THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE

Could you just confirm that you are working from merely two lines call them A and B which intersect? Any points on the lines, tangents, circles around points etc must be uniquely identifiable and given in simple steps.

It also seems that your proof that angle D1 is half of D2 is a bit over the top.

from your construction DG=DG'=DE - they are points on a circle of which D is centre.

G'G=GE - two radii of circle centred at G.

thus the two triangles DG'G and DGE are congruent isosceles triangles.

the line DZ is easily shown to bisect the angle G'DG.

As the angle ZDG is half the angle G'DG it must be half the same angle of the congruent triangle ie GDE.

The total angle ZDE is then clearly 3 times larger than ZDG - but that is not because you have trisected an angle, it is because you have mirrored an angle, bisected it, and then taken the sum of the original and the half angles.

it is impossible to do this the other way around!