Documentation on the apostles activities ?

Externet

As the bible tells some activities of Jesus and many other people along the years, I would like to know some documented activities from the apostles; as seems they did not write about themselves or other apostles.

Any help there ?

What I do know is that supposedly, they did not write much about their experiences or have them transcribed until many years (over 30) after the fact. Makes you wonder if the true story was really all that important, though they could have just as equally been cowering in submission. It reminds me very much of Mohammed's story with his followers and their message. It all really smacks of men failing in their attempts at acting in the name of God, though maybe with time, God acquiesced. If there is a God. I don't think he really cares all that much anymore, since mankind has pretty much learned how to take care of himself, but it's all just speculation.

As the bible tells some activities of Jesus and many other people along the years, I would like to know some documented activities from the apostles; as seems they did not write about themselves or other apostles.

Any help there ?

The extant historical evidence is primarily the book of Acts and Paul's epistles in the New Testament. Paul describes his own activities in some detail, if you can piece together the evidence -- the epistles are not in chronological order, and some are likely not written by Paul after all.

Otherwise there is very little external record of their activities. Jesus got brief mention by some ancient historians like Josephus, but that's about it.

I think I read somewhere that they pretty much scattered after the fact, none of them bothering to document their experiences for years (over 30). Makes you wonder if the real story was really all that important, though they could have just as easily been that driven into submission. Makes you wonder why Paul's letters, written so much later, were lacking all of the really unbelievable components. I guess you really had to be there to be swept up by the grandiosity of it all.

Paul began writing his letters only twenty years after Jesus' death, and they include some of the important parts of early Christian missionary activity, like his dispute with James over the inclusion of non-Jews in his preaching. And of course Acts is purportedly written by Luke some years after the events, covering the missionary activity beginning just after Jesus' death.

Paul began writing his letters only twenty years after Jesus' death, and they include some of the important parts of early Christian missionary activity, like his dispute with James over the inclusion of non-Jews in his preaching. And of course Acts is purportedly written by Luke some years after the events, covering the missionary activity beginning just after Jesus' death.

... but, but I thought Jesus came back to life. One of the biggest questions that I have always wondered about is what happened to Jesus after he arose. Where did he go with his broken body to live out the rest of his years, etc.? A jesuit once told me that he moved to Asia, but I have a hard time giving him much credibility.

Cap'n. Do you know if there is any legitimacy to the claims that Paul later traveled to places in Southern Asia like India? Evidently there are churches in western India that date back to before the alleged "first" Christian missionaries came to the region. I'll try to find a cite for it. It was something I read a few years ago and always wondered about whether or not it was legit.

... but, but I thought Jesus came back to life. One of the biggest questions that I have always wondered about is what happened to Jesus after he arose. Where did he go with his broken body to live out the rest of his years, etc.? A jesuit once told me that he moved to Asia, but I have a hard time giving him much credibility.

He ascended to Heaven after meeting with the apostles. Luke covers this:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2024:50-53&version=NIV

Cap'n. Do you know if there is any legitimacy to the claims that Paul later traveled to places in Southern Asia like India? Evidently there are churches in western India that date back to before the alleged "first" Christian missionaries came to the region. I'll try to find a cite for it. It was something I read a few years ago and always wondered about whether or not it was legit.

Paul's letters mention a brief trip to Arabia in the early stages of his ministry, but as far as I know they do not discuss trips to southern Asia or India. Mostly they account for his travels and imprisonment around the Mediterranean.

Thanks.

I believe the roman government documented the crucifixion of Jesus;

As the majority of apostles were later crucified, I would had thought there were some governamental records of 'judgements' for their activities.

I once visited the Mamertine prison that held Paul and Peter, but never thought of asking the reasons why they were captive by Rome.

Edited: added ---> I believe the apostle who went to India was Thomas. And killed there.

Edited by Externet

Thanks.

I believe the roman government documented the crucifixion of Jesus;

As the majority of apostles were later crucified, I would had thought there were some governamental records of 'judgements' for their activities.

There are currently no extant records of Jesus' crucifixion, or that of his disciples. The historical record comes from Josephus and Tacitus, Roman historians who recorded (briefly) the existence of a Christian movement. There's not much detail otherwise.

Edited: added ---> I believe the apostle who went to India was Thomas. And killed there.

Yes, that's true; I'm not sure what the historical evidence is, but it's certainly been believed for a long time.

the idea is that he ascended bodily into heaven. no sj would not know that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_the_Ascension

I'm sorry, but everything I believe in is devoid of myth and in agreement with the laws of physics, yadda yadda yadda. I was just wondering what really happened, but what is most likely the case is that inconvenient, unsavory details are more than likely shoved into the background and avoided, especially since we're talking about the son of God, but if what youre saying is that he was freed from his service to man/God or allowed to escape the bondage of eternal suffering from his scars or whatever, I understand. I am just wondering what actually happened, but the answer is likely unknowable.

Edited by Realitycheck

I'm sorry, but everything I believe in is devoid of myth and in agreement with the laws of physics, yadda yadda yadda. I was just wondering what really happened, but what is most likely the case is that inconvenient, unsavory details are more than likely shoved into the background and avoided, especially since we're talking about the son of God, but if what youre saying is that he was freed from his service to man/God or allowed to escape the bondage of eternal suffering from his scars or whatever, I understand. I am just wondering what actually happened, but the answer is likely unknowable.

Everything you believe in is devoid of myth, but you want to know what Jesus did after he was resurrected after his physical death by crucifixion?