What if the CNS were physically-invincible and immortal?

Green Xenon

Hi:

As usual I have a hypothetical sci-fi question. Let's say that my entire central nervous system is somehow made physically-invincible and immortal. What signs and symptoms will occur if -- by magic -- all my cardiac muscles enter a state of sudden, complete, and permanent relaxation and totally ignore any commands from my body's regulatory systems [including its own pacemaker] to un-relax?

Thanks,

GX

You would fall to the floor and die, as the heart would not be able to pump blood.

Let's say the CNS *does* have its own hypothetical source of energy. By magic the CNS's neurons receive all the necessary nutrients and any waste products leave those neurons. This is pretty much what I meant by "invincible". IOW, the CNS is invulnerable to all physical

impairments while the rest of the body isn't.

Let me also add, in this case, the CNS neurons are invincible but the peripheral nervous system isn't.

What symptoms/signs would occur in this situation if the cardiac muscles completely relax and never un-relax again?

As realitycheck said: your body would stop receiving oxygen. After some time (couple of minutes) your muscles would also lose strength... and without muscle power, you would just fall down. If the lack of oxygen lasts long enough, the next step would be death of body parts (like with frostbite, you can lose parts of the body). Gangrene is then a serious problem.

I guess if that lasts long enough, you would also start to rot, as your immune system needs oxygen (and other nutrients) too to function. You'd be a real zombie... with the exception that you wouldn't even be able to lurch. You'd be motionless.

Eventually, just that invincible nervous system would be left. Everything else will die, and be eaten.

As realitycheck said: your body would stop receiving oxygen. After some time (couple of minutes) your muscles would also lose strength... and without muscle power, you would just fall down. If the lack of oxygen lasts long enough, the next step would be death of body parts (like with frostbite, you can lose parts of the body). Gangrene is then a serious problem.

I guess if that lasts long enough, you would also start to rot, as your immune system needs oxygen (and other nutrients) too to function. You'd be a real zombie... with the exception that you wouldn't even be able to lurch. You'd be motionless.

Eventually, just that invincible nervous system would be left. Everything else will die, and be eaten.

Yeah, might be better to add a few more invincible parts, just to keep it interesting...

Yeah, might be better to add a few more invincible parts, just to keep it interesting...

Sorry to be so persistent. However...

...What symptoms/signs would occur prior to non-CNS parts of the body dying -- i.e. just after the heart enter it's instant, complete, and permanent stage of relaxation? What symptoms would occur as the non-CNS parts of the body die?

Since the retina is part of the invincible CNS, I'd still be able to see. However, I'd imagine their would be loss of balance and hearing, since the the initial parts of the acoustic nerves are not considered part of the CNS.

Anything else?

Here are some of the symptoms/signs I think I'd experience/display during the process of non-CNS tissues of my body dying:

1. Cold and pale skin -- due to peripheral vasoconstriction caused by the CNS's attempt to draw blood circulation to the inner body and vital organs.

2. Dizziness, vertigo, deafness, tinnitus and loss of the sense of balance -- due to damage to the inner ears and peripheral acoustic nerves.

3. Disruption of voluntary movements -- due to damage of peripheral motor nerves.

4. Numbness preceded by paresthesias -- due to damage of peripheral sensory nerves.

5. The release of pain-relieving endorphins -- due to serious metabolic insult to most of the body. Extreme injuries tends to be painless due to this mechanism.

6. Hallucinations, psychedelic states, dissociation, delirium, out-of-body experiences, near-death experiences and other mental disturbances -- due to the chemicals released as a result of the metabolic starvation.

Am I on the right track? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Green Xenon