Alternatives to freeze drying solvent removal

aga

Hi, I'm looking for alternative ways of HPLC and high boiling solvents removal to freeze drying and speed vac concentrator. Particularly, I would like to hear your opinions on Biotage V-10 and Genevac. Thanks!

I don't know much about Genevac, but our lab does happen to have a Biotage. I haven't used it myself, however the general opinion of it seems to be that it's really only good for large scale preps. Our lab, which does a lot of natural product synthesis and as such, a lot of very small scale synthesis (I often work with 10mg of product or less for reactions) doesn't tend to find too much use for it. That being said, it is good at what it does, when you can do it. Is all you're trying to do remove solvents with high boiling points? Have you considered distillation?

Thank you for your post. I'm working at a synthetic core facility, where we do a lot of customizes syntheses on small and large scales, and along with it a lot of HPLC purifications. The main usage will be removal of HPLC fractions containing TFA and other additives, but also we deal with NMP, DMF and DMSO as reaction solvents. Dilution of HPLC fractions generates large amount of liquids. Removal of organic solvent from water often causes product decomposition. Lyophilization seems to be very gentle in handling samples, but it's too slow for us. Could you please share your group experience with maintenance of the V-10 instrument? Are there any specific issues with it? Best.

Hi 'CaptainPanic', It’s not a spam and I would greatly appreciate serious responses and feedback from the end-users to my question. Thank you!

Apologies!

I have just seen many posts quite similar which were aimed to lure people to commercial websites. ;)

As I said, I myself have not used it. The general opinion of it is that is not good for small scalee preps, only large ones. There are a number of ways that you can remove solvents without product decomposition. Water for instance may be azeotropically removed by adding toluene. I'm not sure what you mean by removing organic solvents from water. Most organic solvents do not mix with water, making extraction quite simple. Do you have high vacuum pumps with a manifold set up at all? That's the usual alternative to a lyophiliser. Honestly, if I had the choice over the biotage and a lyophiliser, I would most definitely pick the latter, simply because it has a more general applicability.

I assume he means organic solvents/water mixtures which are common in e.g. reverse or forward-phase HPLC. However, I have not used any of instruments beside speed-vac and freeze-drying and cannot comment on the performance. For large volumes the latter was much faster, but may depend on the system. I would assume it depends on the number of samples and the volume of each sample.