Rain

Athena

The rain is absolutely pouring in Eugene, Oregon. Yesterday I was glad for the rain because I didn't have time to water my garden, but today I am wondering if my garden will be destroyed? This is very heavy rain that is really pouring and it could rip all the tender flowers off the plants before they fruit. That is besides the seriously lack of sun shine. I wish we could send some of this rain to Texas.

How well do we understand weather, and do we really have to remain so helpless to control it? Might it possible to move these clouds to a place that needs rain?

The rain is absolutely pouring in Eugene, Oregon. Yesterday I was glad for the rain because I didn't have time to water my garden, but today I am wondering if my garden will be destroyed? This is very heavy rain that is really pouring and it could rip all the tender flowers off the plants before they fruit. That is besides the seriously lack of sun shine. I wish we could send some of this rain to Texas.

It is technically feasible but no one seems interested engaging the cost. a press article here on this subject.

How well do we understand weather, and do we really have to remain so helpless to control it?

We can manage rain & sunshine under average conditions. We can also move to another place, it is easier than trying to change the weather at the place where we are born.

Might it possible to move these clouds to a place that needs rain?

I doubt that is technically feasible.

Edited by michel123456

Athena , I grew four spanish tomato plants and three of them were left outside to get the weather while one was kept indoors . Over 15 weeks the plant indoors grew to probably five times what the plants outdoors did in volume terms . Sun damage outdoors gives burnt leaves , a pane of glass can help a lot but doesn't eradicate it , wind snaps branches even though tomato plants are strong and flexible , rain is good but too much washes all the nutrients away and the temperature outside is not as stable as in the house . I'd suggest you try to keep some plants indoors or make some coverings outdoors , both is a good experiment .

Moving water would not resolve the weather problems that destroy crops, and it is to protect our food supply that we need to control weather. Because it is easier to move things like water and food, and we have a surplus of both, we have not been that highly motivated to discover the mysteries of weather, but I think that is about to change. The mass of humanity on the earth, resulting in water and food shortages, puts more pressure on us to control weather, and increase food production.

I do not believe that we cannot learn more about weather and then how to control it. Not that long ago, it was obvious people can not fly. Now we not only fly, but we can send land rovers to reach other planets. I am not saying everything is possible, because I do believe there are limits to what we can do. I just don't believe it will always be impossible to control weather. We know deforesting large areas causes a problem, and that we can reverse the problem. There seems to be a belief that the pollution we create is associated with global warming, which means we can stop doing what causes a problem.

Because people responded, I was motivated to google the subject and found a very informative site.

http://www.usatoday....her/wbarocx.htm

By the way, we are having another cold, rainy day.

Edited by Athena

:) Thank you Hal. If I were young, I would study weather. It is strange what turns us on and what leaves us cold, because it is different from everyone. Weather and the effects of weather, is one thing that really excites me. I love the mystery of weather, and that mystery has gotten a whole lot more exciting. Here it is in the middle of July and I am wearing winter clothes and have a blanket over my legs.:o This is nuts and can not be good for many crops, but I hope this works for my cold weather crops that have not fully matured yet. I am hoping this means a mild fall than extends later in the year, so other plants might produce before freezing. We have had warm spring in November, when other places where devastated by ice. And this makes me suspect.:)Could we be experiencing the beginning of polar shift?

At the site I posted is an explanation of the troughs that cause wind and the moisture in them to be separated from the main west to east flow of air. However, the explanation of troughs is incomplete. They can cause rain for days, before they get picked up by the main flow of air again. As I understand this, the west to east flow of air carries moisture, and a trough can move some of this south where it than dumps rain. Exactly what Texas needs right now. But all this moist air is dumping rain in the northwest instead of moving west. Dry hot land will cause air to rise (low air pressure), and cool land will cause the air to drop (low air pressure), and the earth's spin makes it seem like the wind is moving west to east. Then there are these troughs :confused: . What causes a trough, that pulls the moist air south and dumps rain on Texas?

Actually, the west to east stream of air, is the earth spinning, not the air moving, right? Could we understand more if our perception of what is moving were more accurate?

Moving water would not resolve the weather problems that destroy crops, and it is to protect our food supply that we need to control weather. Because it is easier to move things like water and food, and we have a surplus of both, we have not been that highly motivated to discover the mysteries of weather, but I think that is about to change. The mass of humanity on the earth, resulting in water and food shortages, puts more pressure on us to control weather, and increase food production.

I do not believe that we cannot learn more about weather and then how to control it. Not that long ago, it was obvious people can not fly. Now we not only fly, but we can send land rovers to reach other planets. I am not saying everything is possible, because I do believe there are limits to what we can do. I just don't believe it will always be impossible to control weather. We know deforesting large areas causes a problem, and that we can reverse the problem. There seems to be a belief that the pollution we create is associated with global warming, which means we can stop doing what causes a problem.

Because people responded, I was motivated to google the subject and found a very informative site.

http://www.usatoday....her/wbarocx.htm

By the way, we are having another cold, rainy day.