anti-perspirant

antip

can spraying too much deodorant/anti-persp on your body cause harm other than the aluminum content. Specifically, the ant-perspirant blocking the sweat glands. If someone were to spary or apply this stuff all over their body can it cause illness or death?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest amydanger0us

It can cause illness, as well as death. in 1998, a young man died due to spraying his body with too much deodorant. He ended up having 10-times the lethal dosage of propane, and butane in his blood when he suffered a fatal heart attack.

The fumes built up over in his body following the months of high deodorant use.

blocked pores over 70% of the body can kill, in the film Gold Finger, the woman that was painted all Gold became VERY ILL as a result, and so after a re think,it was decided that a 2 inch wide gap either side of her spine was to remain unpainted to allow the skin to "breate".

that`s also why 70% burns on a body is often considered Fatal, the skin is the largest body organ, and Needs to breate.

the Alu Chloride in an anti-perspirant doesn`t act as a pore blocking agent, it`s a desicant. deoderants are different again, they do nothing other than make you smell a bit better, again, harmless as a Bubble Bath :)

edit: as for the lethal dose of Propane and Butane, that was more than likely caused by Inhallation, Solvent abuse Can and Does Kill. it certainly wouldn`t have been through the skin though as we only take 0.4% of our oxygen requirements through it, a propane and Butane are large molecules by comparison. It does seem odd that he didn`t realise before it was too late though? Hypoxia gives definate signs! unless he deliberately wanted to get "High"?

as well as death. in 1998, a young man died due to spraying his body with too much deodorant
blocked pores over 70% of the body can kill

The reason I posted this question is because I have a patient who has this particular problem. I recall reading in the newspaper a while back, quite possibly about the quoted person, and that's what piqued my interest in the matter. I understand that the deodorant alone is not a problem but most sprays include the antiperspirant especially for the ‘pits’. In general, most people will spray in the heavily sweated areas; however there are those that enjoy continuous spraying across the body. Indeed, this client was actually choking on the spray and did not stop spraying. This is an ongoing disorder for the individual and the chemicals in the blood only add to the issue. Is it the fumes, the blocked pores or long term abuse that causes harm? I am still searching for a confirmed and researched case if there is one. Please continue to help, thank you.

• 3 weeks later...