Flameless Heater

nerosrevenge

Hi all.

First let me say that I am new to Chemistry and after viewing the fountains of knowledge on the subject I have ultimate faith that someone will be able to help me.

I have recently seen these "Flameless Heaters" used by Military and the like to heat their MRE's. According to what research I have been able to do, the pads used Iron Powder, Magnesium, Salt and Water. Apparently they will heat up to 220 degrees! I have an idea for an emergency heater using the same principal.

My question is this: What amounts of each of these materials (more specifically what ratios) would you anticipate I would need to used to cause the desired reaction?

Thanks so much, I look forward to all posts!

Steve.

it`s similar to a controled Thermite reaction. if I rem correctly, it`ll be 25% Mg powder and 75% Fe2O3 (iron oxide aka rust) powder, the salt water is used as the ion carrier for the displacement exchange. I`m not sure what concentration of salt water is needed however.

Is there another metal I could use instead of the magnesium? I have seen quite a few thermite related posts indicating aluminum (although I think magnesium is also required?!). Is it oxidation we're after? If so how do you think the aluminum would peform?? I'm not sure where I can get magnesium powder here (I'm in Canada). Any ideas??

Thanks,

Steve.

yes for a thermite reaction you can just use iron oxide(rust) and aluminium 75% rust 25% aluminium, but i must warn you must not mess around with thermite it throws molten iron around once ignited and can reach temperatures of upto 3000c and the only time magnesium is used is in the form of magnesium strip which is used to ignite the mixture but you could just use a hand held turbo lighter tie it to a long stick and turn the lighter on it will ignite the mixture at a safe distance

Thanks for the info. Boris. For the purposes of my experiment I'm not certain that Iron Oxide will work!? If I understand the reaction correctly, once the water is added it triggers the accelerated oxidation of both the magnesium and the iron powder (causing heat) according to YT2095's post the salt acts as the ion carrier for the reation. If the iron is already oxidised (sp?) then only the magnesium (or aluminum) would react (if at all) and may not cause the desired reaction.

I'm still not clear on whether aluminum would work in lieu of the magnesium??

as I mentioned in a prior post, it`s SIMILAR to a thermite reaction, in the exchange mechanism, it however ISN`T a thermite reaction :)

and yes Alu powder will work, but you may need a weak acid to trigger it rather than just salt water, Alu`s hard to "fire" in a wet reaction, I`de reccomend a weak HCl soln for an Alu mix :)