Copper(I) Chemistry

Alfredo

Hi All, May I know why is Copper(I) Oxide red while Copper(I) Chloride white? I'm aware that d-d transition does not occur in Cu+, hence is ligand-metal charge transfer responsible for the colour observed? If yes, how so? If not, what is the likely cause? Apologies, my knowledge of chemistry is only up to to 'A' levels at the moment. Regards Alfredo

Edited by Alfredo

It is a charge transfer transition. The electron can hop from the oxygen to the metal.

The same thing is responsible for the colours of AgI and AgBr.

Ag+ is nearly a strong enough oxidant to turn I- into I. With a bit of help from a photon it can make that jump.

It is a charge transfer transition. The electron can hop from the oxygen to the metal.

The same thing is responsible for the colours of AgI and AgBr.

Ag+ is nearly a strong enough oxidant to turn I- into I. With a bit of help from a photon it can make that jump.

Hi Sir,

Thanks for info:) May I know how does charge transfer transition occur then?

Hi Sir,

Thanks for info:) May I know how does charge transfer transition occur then?

Do some reading about metal to ligand charge transfer MLCT, and ligand to metal charge transfer LMCT. You would also do well to read a bit about cyclic voltammetry and UV-vis spectroscopy which are used to observe these types of charge transfers. This topic is a quite complicated one in chemistry.

Do a little reading and get back to us soon. I can help once you've had a small amount of background reading. It would be too cumbersome to explain in a post.

Edited by mississippichem