Temporal Mechanics

Hardly.

It's nothing new. In fact the grandfather paradox' date=' as this is an instance of, isn't the best regarded proof for the impossibility of time travel.

Most people with the faintest notion of temporal mechanics laugh at this theory in much the same way that one would laugh at people who claim "you lose 70% of your body heat through your head".[/quote']

could you enlighten the rest of us to the basics of temporal mechanics?

is this going to be like when blike said he would be back in ten min with info on a ghost thread?

edit: I just checked out a copy of Reverse Time Travel. it's ISBN 0-304-34524-5. have you heard of it? if so, is it a good or bad book for trying to get a basic understanding of temporal mechanics?

I really have no idea, I've never read it.

I don't actually recall saying I was an authority on temporal mechanics myself, but I'll certainly make every effort to put what I know together into something that actually makes sense. It will take a while so it will be at the weekend, not midweek when I have x7 things to do :-(

[edit]

oh crappity. I will need to reinstall some 3D software too.

i just picked up "fabric of the cosmos" by brian greene. if you haven't already, you should read "the elegant universe"; i liked it. the fabric of the cosmos is about space and time, so it will probably at least touch on temporal mechanics. i'll tell you all when i get to it if it has it in it.

Ophiolite, i read that article on how to build a time machine, which is timely because i've been reading about phi and the golden ratio lately as well.

I googled plenumary time theory and came up with four results, none of which were of any use at all. I wonder if you'd have any more links for this subject

Ophiolite' date=' i read that article on how to build a time machine, which is timely because i've been reading about phi and the golden ratio lately as well.

I googled plenumary time theory and came up with four results, none of which were of any use at all. I wonder if you'd have any more links for this subject[/quote']No,nothing else. I stumbled on that one googling in relation to this thread. I only scanned the article, not a proper read yet. Perhaps, when I have the time!

• 2 weeks later...

Listen, I have a full-time job, I am doing a degree, and I have no fewer than five commercial projects in the works, as well as several web sites to look after, and on top of that I have to do all the things for myself that mummy does for you, so you can imagine where "telling yourdad something he can get elsewhere" comes on my list of priorities.

The sarcasm is somewhat misplaced. If you can't wait it really isn't my problem.

• 1 month later...

i THINK i may understand why you are always saying that the grandfather paradox is not a paradox.

a moment cannot be changed. the fact that you are alive now tells you that you will be unsuccessful if you should ever travel back in time to kill your father.

if you go back in time, you will have been there the one and only time it came around. it isn't like you missed a play, so you caught the next one and kept it from proceeding as usual.

even though "now" is different to everyone, "now" cannot be changed by future events. what happened happened and what didn't happen, didn't happen. nothing will ever change that.

am i right or way off?

edit: my last post was just to bump the thread in case anyone else knew anything about the subject.

That's the simple version, yeah. Kudos.

People tend to try and process the sequence of events in some kind of logical order, which usually ends up being "the order in which the traveller commits actions", rather than the order in which the actual events occur.

They then find that logic falls apart and they can't resolve the problem, so they slap a paradox label on it (instead of realising that linear logic won't account for things like effect preceding cause, et cetera.)

ok, this is BS, but it brings up a point.

Shows you how to use a Tesla Coil to construct the amazing Chronological Time Reflector' date=' Time Platform and info about the De Lawarr Experiment.

Also contains information on a device, which was given to the author by an actual time traveler! Instructions for the Hyperdimensional Resonator are also included and data on the physics of time travel.[/quote']

lets forget for a moment that this is BS. where did the information come from?

Do not dis the Hyperdimensional Resonator.

It can even allow you to carry friends on amazing trips through time - all they have to do is hold on tight.

(I suspect this device only allows you to travel to the future, due to the coma that the electric shock puts you in.)

Sometimes, I wonder if the pitfalls of the general public, which Sayonara quite rightly points out also include thinking that "Time" only travels one way, like a one-way street?

-Darren