UK and US, who obtains more advanced science and technology?

albertlee

I have seen about the info of world top 10 unversities, and most of them were from USA and some of them from UK......

I am just wondering, Lets say , if you study maths, ComSci, PHysics, or Medicine, etc, What is the general "difference" on the purpose of their study in Science between UK and US universities?

In the world top ten, I believe Cambridge is 3rd and Oxford is 8th. All the others are from the USA.

1 Harvard Univ, USA

2 Stanford Univ, USA

3 Univ Cambridge, UK

4 Univ California - Berkeley, USA

5 Massachusetts Inst Tech (MIT), USA

6 California Inst Tech, USA

7 Princeton Univ, USA

8 Univ Oxford, UK

9 Columbia Univ, USA

10 Univ Chicago, USA

Taken from: http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2004/top500(1-100).htm

"What makes a "top" university?"

That's a question that I would also like an answer to. One factor is probably the amount of Nobel-winners that have went to the university. :P

hehe. i am sure if the nobel prize was awarded before it did. european universities would have a hell lot of medals. Gauss, Bernoulli, Newton, Cauchy, Green, Huygens, etc etc.

In the world top ten' date=' I believe Cambridge is 3rd and Oxford is 8th. All the others are from the USA.

1 Harvard Univ, USA

2 Stanford Univ, USA

[b'] 3 Univ Cambridge, UK[/b]

4 Univ California - Berkeley, USA

5 Massachusetts Inst Tech (MIT), USA

6 California Inst Tech, USA

7 Princeton Univ, USA

8 Univ Oxford, UK

9 Columbia Univ, USA

10 Univ Chicago, USA

Taken from: http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2004/top500(1-100).htm

Hang on, I thought Newcastle, Leeds and Kings College were all higher than Oxford and Cambridge?

Maybe it's based on average earnings of ex-students.

Well... according to the Times University Guide, Newcastle, Leeds, and Kings College make 19th, 31st, and 13th places respectively in the UK. Cambridge and Oxford are 1st and 2nd.

The average starting salary for a student leaving King's College is £20,637, which is 4th highest in the country, whereas Cambridge is 6th with £20,062 and Oxford 7th with £19,571.

Of course, Skye is right. The accuracy of the list for the website I listed is questionable at best. I mean, the list from last year had Cambridge at 5th and Oxford at 9th, and that was the year during which Oxford was above Cambridge on the Times University Guide. I'm more inclined to trust the Times, whose criteria were based more on the actual quality of the university than on indirect indicators of academic success like the number of Nobel laureates or published articles.