Can religion ever be funny ?

Hal.

Can it ever be anything but funny?

More seriously, though, some critics have described the Christ figure depicted in the Bible as a rather unpleasantly sanctimonious individual, who fails to have a good laugh at things like his fury over finding money-changers at the Temple in Jerusalem, while yet simultaneously not being bothered about the fact that women are excluded from the Temple on pure gender prejudice.

Is Mohammed ever known to have had a good laugh because of a funny incident ? Did Jesus ever in all of the literature about him ever have a laugh at somebody ? If they didn't , is laughing wrong ?

One of the many Christian spiritual writers who sought to borrow respectability for his works by placing them under the name of the much-honoured Ephrem the Syrian maintained that Jesus had cried but never laughed, and so 'laughter is the beginning of the destruction of the soul'.

- Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years, by Diarmaid MacCullough, page 207.

Religion meets politics can give rise to some serious humour.

Have a look at this- particularly the yogic flying at about 1:15.

I challenge anyone to watch that and keep a straight face

(and yes, that's a real election broadcast, not a spoof)

Thanks for that video. Not only did it lighten my rather dreary day, but it made me feel not so bad about some of the religious political nuts we have on my side of the pond. Evidently the global distribution of political religious nuts is homogeneous and spreads as far the other side of the other pond:

Mitsuo Matatyoshi

Edited by mississippichem