Lead oxide use in Pyro and how to make it.

Aspirin

I Know that lead oxide is used in pyro for a sparkling and crackling effect.

(don't blame me if i'm wrong...my father told me)

but here's the problem

HOW TO MAKE IT

Is it even possible at home to make.

At the store they want 40$ for 20g.

What a ripoff.

So i thought that i'd be cheaper to make my own.

So anyone......any suggestions

well oxygen is easy.... electrolysis water

lead: is a bit harder, you fill probably need to find an old lead source, as lead used to be used for quite a lot, however, by now, most of it will have rusted. old piping etc is all lead.

there are lead coated bullets (for handguns), but not many places sell them and i dont know how you can seperate the lead from the rest of it and they may not be made of pure lead any more.

the pellets used for air pistols they are lead and here it cost's about £5.00 for fivehundred pellets which is plenty of lead and you can just melt them into a big blob of lead if you wanted and you can get plenty of oxygen by adding liver to hydrogen peroxide or MnO2 added to hydrogen peroxide again this will give off plenty of oxygen the MnO2 is found in zinc carbon batteries

the thing with electrolizing water is that it also gives of hydrogen and there isnt away really telling which on is which unless you put a flame in one if it goes pop then its hydrogen but if you blow out the flame and put it in one and it reignites then its oxygen but by that time you have used it all and you dont get that much oxygen through electrolysis, its not a very good way of getting it, but anyway yes i think that would make lead oxide make sure you seal the lead and oxygen in a bottle to make sure it fully reacts

WHAT?... oxygen forms at the anode (which is from the + side of the battery)

hydrogen forms at the cathode (negative side)

just place a tube or flask or glass over the anode and then you get your oxygen forming in there.

s'ok, no offense taken.

basically with electrolysis there are two electrodes, one connected to the negative one to the postive terminal of the battery... both must be placed in a liquid for this to work, turn on the power and the liquid will seperate, one part forming at the negative side (cathode) and another part forming at the postive side (anode).

to capture a gas, place something over the electrode and the gas (which rises outta the liquid) will get 'caught' in the glass (or wtvr material) container.

"the thing with electrolizing water is that it also gives of hydrogen and there isnt away really telling which on is which"

You don't even really have to know which is the anode and which is the cathode when you do electrolysis with water; H2O has twice the amount of hydrogen compared to oxygen, so you'll just check which one forms more gas; that's hydrogen, and the other one's oxygen.

Ummm maybe I missed something but how do you expect to get lead oxide by mixing lead with oxygen? Lead will not oxidize rapidly from just being around oxygen. Use lead electrodes when you do electrolysis then boil the water down.

red lead (or lead oxide) IS used in pyro in the for of "Dragon Eggs", they add the Crackle effect in fountains etc...

it`s basicly and exotic Thermite pressed into spheres at Mega weight then roughed up and powder coated for easy ignition.

as for making it, a little Common sense goes a LOoooooong Way :)

a good source of lead metal is your local tire shop. I work at discount tire co. and we collect hundreds of pounds of Lead wheel weights every month. Since we actually pay a company to remove and recycle the stuff, which is considered hazardous waste, all you have to do is ask and we will give you as much as you want! people ask for the stuff all the time and i just grab a few handfulls and put it in a bag, no questions asked. But how reactive is the lead with oxidizing agents? wouldnt it need to be in powder form for any kind of reaction to take place?

or maybe you could add an oxidizer to molten lead? do you think KNO3, NH4NO3, or KClO4 would work? (because those are the only ones i have)

Now that you have reminded me of the abundance of lead which i have access to, i must inquire; what other reactions can lead metal be used in?

I don`t recommend using red lead as it`s impact sensitive, the beta-modification will make a reasonable thermite though, red lead Dragon eggs aren`t used anymore nowdays in Pyro, it`s been replaced by Bismuth Trioxide instead.

dissolve your lead in nitric acid making lead nitrate, then add sodium hydroxide, to make lead hydroxide and sodium nitrate, filter out the lead hydroxide and dry it, with heating the hydroxide will turn into Yellow lead :)

Lead Compounds are Toxic!!!!!

do all local tire shop's use lead because there is one quite close to me, well its a garage but they also deal in tires so if i ask would they give me some, also what can lead nitrate be used for how good is it as an oxidising agent

yes, all tire shops use lead wheel weights to balance tires. they range in sizes from 1/4 oz to over 3 oz. im sure they will give you as much as you want. just be careful to wash your hands after touching the lead as it is toxic. and to think i work with the stuff every day...

another thing to look out for with the weights is that some of them have a grey protective coating to prevent scratches on aluminum wheels, so if you want pure lead you need the uncoated steel wheel variety. you can tell the difference because the lead will turn shiny if you scratch it with a hard object like a knife.

"At the store they want 40$ for 20g."

That certainly is a ripoff. You can get 0.5kg from kno3.com for £11.50, which I find to be a very reasonable price.

Edit: Whoops! That's the price for Fe2O3. :D But I think I saw lead monoxide somewhere for about the same price.