MARS - NASA's Rover

hawksmere

Have been glued to various forums covering recent going ons especially the final mission of the endeavour which had price tag of approx $1.7bn (to manufacture) but lasted 30 years.

I can confidently rest peacefully knowing we got so much out of it and still getting some great returns. However, NASA considering sending a 900kg Science Laboratory to Mars at the cost of $2.5 Billion!

All to detect carbon-based molecules that could signal life. ‘Curiosity’ will land next August and although I’m all for exploration should we not be spending the wealth into something a little more further afield (aspace). It’s obviously possible but have we not drained that planet and now just scraping the barrel? Is it worth all that money and effort? Just wanted to get your thoughts...

The $450 million per launch cost is not something that can be ignored in a cost comparison, and Endeavour's first launch was in 1992 (it was built after Challenger was lost), so that's less than 20 years of service. The total shuttle program cost exceeds $170 billion

IMO, I'm just glad to see NASA spending $ on space exploration. We need to keep those people involved in space employed and busy. If not, we will be losing lots of talent. I was just talking about a month ago with a person at a local restaurant who lost his job as an engineer for parts of various things for space, eg sensors on satellites. As a very talented guy, he'll be able to find another job, but he's not planning on getting a job that relates to space at all. :(

Again, I think that NASA needs to keep spending $ on space technology. Also, NASA's budget is only a few percent of the feds budget. Most is spent on Medicare, Social Security, and Medicaid.

http://www.thespacer...m/article/898/1

Edited by Brainteaserfan

Have been glued to various forums covering recent going ons especially the final mission of the endeavour which had price tag of approx $1.7bn (to manufacture) but lasted 30 years.

I can confidently rest peacefully knowing we got so much out of it and still getting some great returns. However, NASA considering sending a 900kg Science Laboratory to Mars at the cost of $2.5 Billion!

All to detect carbon-based molecules that could signal life. 'Curiosity' will land next August and although I'm all for exploration should we not be spending the wealth into something a little more further afield (aspace). It's obviously possible but have we not drained that planet and now just scraping the barrel? Is it worth all that money and effort? Just wanted to get your thoughts...

Curiosity aka the Mars Science Laboratory is the biggest rover yet. It is very capable and is the first one which would carry instruments specifically designed to detect complex carbon based molecules that could signal life.

Therefore it is not a waste kind of thing.

Also, there are further more missions to come. Curiosity will lay groundwork for a future mission that will drill below the surface, where organic matter would be better preserved.

The debate currently going on is that where to land it and the decision would be given by July.

Edited by rktpro