Soap Making and the movie "Fight Club"

Caustic

what is the deal with making soap and getting explosive byproducts such as in the movie "Fight Club"? how can animal fat be turned into soap and why is a potentially explosive substance produced in the process? Anybody an expert on soaps? sounds pretty strange to me.

"how can animal fat be turned into soap"

Reminds me of human fat being turned into soap in goddamn concentration camps. :(

but...my daddy says that there were no concentration camps--jk

afiak, all of the explosive talk in Fight Club is true

Caustic soad (NaOH) + Fat ---> Na(fattyacid) + glycerol

glycerol + HNO3 (Nitric acid) ----> Nitroglycerin (dynamite)

just a little nitpicking:

it's not Na(fattyacid) but rather the sodium SALT of the fatty acid

the glycerol and nitric needs to be heated and the nitric must also have sulfuric added

"don't tell him about the sulphuric acid he probably wants to make a bomb."

Well who didn't know it's the lovely union of H2SO4 and HNO3 that makes NO2+. :)

"I was just currious."

Curiosity killed the cat, remember that. :>

I think I'll stop my element collecting at americium. Elements above that would of course be nice, but getting them is something that will most likely cause you to a) die b) go to jail c) get your leg shot off by an FBI agent, and then go to jail. Also, they wouldn't be much to look at either, since you would in no way have much of them. And if you did, that would just be wacky. 0.000001g of californium emits 250 000 neutrons a second.

um, have fun with your astatine and plutonium then.

really, if i were you i'd stop at bismuth. polonium is really, really toxic...2.5*10^11 times as toxic as HCN, but then astatine and francium you will constantly lose. radium is a bit sketchy, but actinium, thorium and protactinium arent so bad. then you have everybody's best friend, uranium, neptunium (which releases waaay too much gamma) and plutonium before you get to americium, which isnt dangerous really. up to you, but just dont die

"um, have fun with your astatine and plutonium then."

Astatine as a decay product from uranium ore (francium too). Polonium and technetium I'm going to get as visible amounts of the metal itself, that would be excellent. As for neptunium and americium, they're found in smoke detectors. And so on, and so on... More of this in the actual element collecting thread. :)

nitroglycerin also isnt something youd want to make in the first place. it really isnt fun and it's not effective at all...plus it's really unstable

Not to mention that it's a VERY potent vasodilator, so if you were to spill some on your skin you would become VERY ill and your blood pressure would plummet to very dangerous levels. heh. I remember being an ER one time and the patient in the room next to mine was having a heart attack, so I see this nurse running down the hall with this giant bottle of Nitroglycerine. :eek: I didn't know at this point that Nitroglycerine was used to dilate blood vessels, and I kind of got a bit nervous seeing it haphazardly lugged around. (I later found out that the concentration is only like 0.5% which renders it completely non-explosive).

Probably because you can have NG in a liquid form that is easy to store, and easy to administer. NO is a gas which makes it a bit more difficult to store, and much more difficult to administer. Also, upon contact with air it will immediately oxidize to the much more corrosive and toxic NO2 which is not something you want people putting in their lungs. Again, NG can be absorbed through the skin while NO would have to be absorbed through the lung tissue where it would most likely have turned into nitrous, or nitric, acid by the time it gets there.

not always, Inhaled Nitro products were the 1`st on the market long before the pills :)

think, Amyl or Alkyl Nitrite (aka poppers, liquid gold or Angipax), the Angipax was used originaly for angina treatment, then the YOB culture jumped on the band wagon and used it as a type of "get high drug". Gays use it also to relax the anal muscles :(

not always' date=' Inhaled Nitro products were the 1`st on the market long before the pills :)

think, Amyl or Alkyl Nitrite (aka poppers, liquid gold or Angipax), the Angipax was used originaly for angina treatment, then the YOB culture jumped on the band wagon and used it as a type of "get high drug". Gays use it also to relax the anal muscles :([/quote']

Damned mental images. :eek::P:D I just know that if I could choose between inhaling NO gas, or ingesting a couple drops of NG, I'd take the nitroglycerine any day.

"Gays use it also to relax the anal muscles :("

http://bellsouthpwp.net/C/o/Correction/tfti.gif :D

OK, I thought to myself: Why don't I just play a while, then check SFN, then go to bed. Damn you. :) Samurais would have probably loved that stuff, since almost all of them preferred sex with other men better than sex with women. :eek:

Anyway, it's fun to see how people always seem to find a way to misuse medication.