Is any alcohol still safe to drink?

Mr Rayon

How much alcohol do you recommend people to drink?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/mar/07/safe-level-alcohol-consumption

Also, did anybody recently here in the news about the link between alcohol consumption and breast/colon cancer?

I think it's unsafe but how can we get rid of this tradition when alcohol is so embedded into our culture?

And for the record, I blame Jesus, what the heck was he thinking turning water into wine... :doh:

...very irresponsible for him to have done that I think.

Probably you shouldn't drink any more than you need to prevent you from using more damaging substances.

I interpret the "water to wine" myth as referring to getting intoxicated on sobriety and spiritual clarity.

Probably you shouldn't drink any more than you need to prevent you from using more damaging substances.

I interpret the "water to wine" myth as referring to getting intoxicated on sobriety and spiritual clarity.

Lemur, do you really think that? The bible states quite clearly Jesus turned water into wine at a very secular party, i find your interpretation to be somewhat self serving to say the least. intoxicants have been part of human culture since before we were human. a great many animals from squirrels who eat hallucinogenic mushrooms and then go to their dens and sleep it off to elephants who get drunk on over ripe fruit, actually traveling long distances to become intoxicated. Wild elephants have even broken into breweries to drink the beer and get raging drunk and tear through the country side like story book monsters. Being bad for us and knowing it is uniquely human, but i wonder if many people really care and the drive to be intoxicated wins out over knowledge and caution.

Lemur, do you really think that? The bible states quite clearly Jesus turned water into wine at a very secular party, i find your interpretation to be somewhat self serving to say the least. intoxicants have been part of human culture since before we were human. a great many animals from squirrels who eat hallucinogenic mushrooms and then go to their dens and sleep it off to elephants who get drunk on over ripe fruit, actually traveling long distances to become intoxicated. Wild elephants have even broken into breweries to drink the beer and get raging drunk and tear through the country side like story book monsters. Being bad for us and knowing it is uniquely human, but i wonder if many people really care and the drive to be intoxicated wins out over knowledge and caution.

I didn't say that there's something wrong with wine, per se'. I just think that the miracle was taking something as simple as water, its purity and clarity and its ability to keep your consciousness clear, and elevated that to that status of wine.

He's correct. There is nothing wrong with wine, biblically speaking There is something wrong with being drunk, or drinking in excess. The Bible is against most things in excess, actually.

Everyone has to believe in something, i believe I'll have another beer...

hehe, thats a little like the police joke.

"hey officer if i call you a c*nt will you arrest me", you

"why yes i will", officer

"but if i think it you cant do anything right?", you

"well i guess not", officer

"in that case i think your a c*nt", you

Meh... one more stupid health-related research.

Instead of saying what is not healthy, can't some researchers please tell me what actually IS healthy?

Almost all food at some point has been in the news for being either carcinogenic, toxic, polluted, bad for the environment, bad for poor people in 3rd world countries, bad for my diet, etc. And if the food itself wasn't the problem, then it is the production method (e.g. animals being fed dangerous feed) or the preparation method (charred food, like from a BBQ is carcinogenic too).

Just Google 'carcinogenic food', and this pops up:

1. Any charred food - from burnt popcorn - to burnt toast, is highly carcinogenic.

2. Meat in general (in terms of the fats associated) is carcinogenic, especially overcooked meat.

3. Sugar is carcinogenic - whether white or brown. Instead of sugar, substitute honey

4. Stomach cancer is associated with high salt intake, with spicy foods and smoked food

5. Sodas are carcinogenic for a variety of reasons beyond their high sugar content and harmful additives. Sodas have also been proved to leach the minerals - principally calcium - that are temporarily gained through other healthier foods

6. Trans fats found in fries and snack chips are carcinogenic

7. Artificial sweeteners, particularly aspartame, are carcingogenic

8. Excessive alcohol intake is toxic

9. Foods cooked at high temperatures usually contain acrylamide.

10. Farm-raised fish and fish products contain high amounts of PCB's.

And then when you think: "Hey, cheese isn't on this list", I googled it. First hit claims that cheese can lower the risk for cancer. 3rd hit claims it might actually increase it. And veggies are full of poisons like herbicides and pesticides, so that's no good either. That doesn't actually leave a lot of things that are safe.

Even the bloody air we breathe is carcinogenic, and getting worse every day. The sun's rays are bad too (although too little is also bad). Personally, I would rather live to reach only 70, and not worry about all this than to be 100 and worry about everything every day... especially given the fact that it's all statistics, and I might just get lucky and get to be a 100 anyway.

Sorry for being rather off-topic. It's Monday morning, and this seemed like a good thread to vent some frustration. :angry:

Back when everybody rode horses, it was undeniably much safer. That's what cabs are for, but you still know that you didn't like the way it tasted the first time you tried it ... for a reason.

indeeeeeed