Golden ratio

Mr Rayon

Hey, everybody!

Just watched this video on youtube regarding the golden ratio and it's association with the city of Mekke.

And I don't know much about the Koran or even extensive knowledge of mathematics but this has got me going. Could Islam be the real deal?

I'm scared. What do you logical scientific people think? Could Islam be the real deal?

I think I'll let you SFN mathematicians decide!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUOxz3q__ko&feature=channel_video_title

Edited by Voltman

Why the hell would you be scared? That seems a completely unreasonable response to such a video.

Maybe you've listened too much to FOX News or some other nutty source for information, and maybe you actually think in a "us" against "them" kinda way. Stop that, you fool.

Why the hell would you be scared? That seems a completely unreasonable response to such a video.

Maybe you've listened too much to FOX News or some other nutty source for information, and maybe you actually think in a "us" against "them" kinda way. Stop that, you fool.

What do you mean by a them against us?

I'm not a fool too. How am I fool? :)

I'm just trying to find out answers in life, nothing more and nothing less.

The golden ratio has been used in all kind of matters, by people so different as Mathematicians, Biologists, Physicists, Catholics, Atheists, Masonists, Satanists, Creationists, Evolutionists, and many many others. It is not surprising that Muslims use that argument too. There is no copyright upon the Golden Ratio.

I don't see which part of that video, or any video for that matter, would lead you to believe that Islam was the "real deal". The evidence provided by the video is anecdotal at best.

Everyone acknowledges that the golden ratio is pleasurable to the human eye. Why then is it so surprising that it shows up so often in historic human art, architecture, etc. !?

The golden ratio itself is an irrational number. If you take any of these examples out to enough decimal places, you'll find that they will deviate from the golden ratio significantly. So then you are forced to admit that said deity (who apparently likes the golden ratio very much) either has a calculator that inappropriately terminates irrational numbers at some point, or is imperfect.

I blame television for people being so willing to swallow this nonsense. If you watch the History Channel (in the USA), you'll find that crap like this is shown all day. All this spooky, historical, coincidental nonsense is polluting peoples' heads. Real history is dry, boring, semi-empirical, and admits when there is uncertainty. If you base your worldview on one lousy [though might a say well produced] video on the internet, then I've got some beachfront property in Mongolia that I want to sell you.

I apologize for my slight degree of harshness but it makes me sad that so many young people, people my age, are so willing to accept pure fiction at the click of a mouse.

Hey, everybody!

Just watched this video on youtube regarding the golden ratio and it's association with the city of Mekke.

And I don't know much about the Koran or even extensive knowledge of mathematics but this has got me going. Could Islam be the real deal?

I'm scared. What do you logical scientific people think? Could Islam be the real deal?

I think I'll let you SFN mathematicians decide!

http://www.youtube.c...nel_video_title

I watched as much of that trash as I could stand (not a lot). For a decent presentation of the golden ratio watch this clip from "Donald in Mathemagic Lad" --

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see which part of that video, or any video for that matter, would lead you to believe that Islam was the "real deal". The evidence provided by the video is anecdotal at best.

Everyone acknowledges that the golden ratio is pleasurable to the human eye. Why then is it so surprising that it shows up so often in historic human art, architecture, etc. !?

The golden ratio itself is an irrational number. If you take any of these examples out to enough decimal places, you'll find that they will deviate from the golden ratio significantly. So then you are forced to admit that said deity (who apparently likes the golden ratio very much) either has a calculator that inappropriately terminates irrational numbers at some point, or is imperfect.

I blame television for people being so willing to swallow this nonsense. If you watch the History Channel (in the USA), you'll find that crap like this is shown all day. All this spooky, historical, coincidental nonsense is polluting peoples' heads. Real history is dry, boring, semi-empirical, and admits when there is uncertainty. If you base your worldview on one lousy [though might a say well produced] video on the internet, then I've got some beachfront property in Mongolia that I want to sell you.

I apologize for my slight degree of harshness but it makes me sad that so many young people, people my age, are so willing to accept pure fiction at the click of a mouse.

Beachfront property in Mongolia?? That's unheard-of. Must be worth a fortune! :)

In the day and age of the internet, people really need to develop a BS filter. There is a lot of bogus information out there.... religion, homeopathy, get rich quick schemes, etc

It's always amusing to see another example of numerology.

This one is just as bogus as all the others.

There are an infinite number of points on the map where the ratio of the distances to the south pole and North pole are 1.618

Anywhere on the same latitude, or the line of latitude as far from the equator, but in the other hemisphere will do. Mecca is on one of them

All the stuff about longitude is, from my point of view as an Englishman, faintly flattering.

Those numbers are based on the choice of Greenwich as the "zero " line.

There was, a couple of hundred years ago, a serious discussion about using the meridian through Paris, rather than London as the basis for plotting the world's maps.

If the French had won the debate then Mecca would need to be moved a few hundred miles in order to be "golden".

• 1 month later...

You might want to read "A Beginner's Guide to Constructing the Universe- the Mathematical Archetypes of Nature, Art and Science" by Michael S. Schneider. Math is connected with many sacred ideas. Unfortunately, Christianity neglected this vast pool of information, and by cutting us from it, delayed our progress for hundreds of years. I know some of you will have a fit about the mention of sacred math, but get over it. There is more to life than your technological understanding of it, put in neat little boxes, of math, physics, and medical sciences. There is a connection between these things.

"The triad has a special beauty and fairness beyond all numbers, primarily because it is the very first to make actual the potentialities of the Monad. " Iamblichus (c. 250-c 330) The triad is the number 3 and sacred for many, including the Celts, and central to the Chinese I Ching.

The golden triangle is associated with the number five, the number of regeneration. It is behind sacred art, from Egypt to the building of Christian and Muslim holy places, as well as seen in nature.

The Egyptian Ennead, or company of nine gods and goddesses, represents archetypical principles that regulate and rule the cosmos through the laws of number. Ancient mythologies are full of math, so don't get overly excited by one.

Edited by Athena

I want to use "A Beginner's Guide to Constructing the Universe" to explain the Golden Mean is such away some here might have more appreciation for considering this information sacred.

"Write out the first few terms of the Fibonacci sequence. Draw a line under each to make it a fraction, and underneath writhe the Fibonacci sequence shifted back one term.

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55

0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34

A graph of the results shows each term getting closer to an ideal of 1,61803398875...or rounded off to 1.618 or even 1.62. Notice how it begins crudely, pulsing far over then under then over the ideal, getting closer and closer on its way toward an infinite at which it will never arrive. We watch as its decimals get longer and longer, like a thirty taproot reaching for the infinite that beckons it onward. The farther out you go in the Fibonacci sequence the more precise the result becomes as it hones into the ideal.

The ideal it approaches has had many names over the centuries, often expressing highest regard for it with terms including "golden," "divine" and even Godlike." It is the proverbial "golden mean," the ideal balance of life. Presently it is symbolized by the Greek litter Phi, named in this country to honor the Greek sculptor Phidias, who used it to proportion his desings, ranging from the Parthenon to his famous statue of Zeus.

Actually Phi is not a number but a relationship. We tend to focus on the visible numbers, but they represent the accumulative process that manifest them......."

Further of explanation of the golden mean, may lead us to an understanding of the math used to build Stonehenge. Simple sticks can be used to create Golden mean calipers, which always show a changing, relative Phi relationship between pointers.