Five domains of Biology

There's a new Paradigm that applies across Biology and Cosmology which indicates that there are 37 types of biological organism within five domains comprising one meta-domain of four and one meta-domain of one. Biological evolution occurred twice, with the meta-domain of one becoming extinct.

typology

I'll bite. Which are the five domains? Which domain is extinct? Which are the 37 "types"? I notice, rather oddly, that your thirty seven is one more than a commonly accepted animal phyla count of thirty six?

You are either informing us of a new and interesting classification system, in which case a reference would be welcome, or you are orally expelling bovine testicles.

Starting in the early 1970s, Dr. Carl Woese, a professor in the Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, and other scientists began to find evidence for a previously unknown group of prokaryotic organisms. These organisms lived in extreme environments - deep sea hydrothermal vents, "black smokers", hot springs, the Dead Sea, acid lakes, salt evaporation ponds - environments that scientists had never suspected would contain a profusion of life!

Because they appeared prokaryotic, they were considered bacteria and named "archaebacteria" ('ancient' bacteria). However, became obvious from biochemical characteristics and DNA sequence analysis that there were numerous differences between these archaebacteria and other bacteria. Before long, it was realized that these archaebacteria were more closely related to the eukaryotes (including ourselves!) than to bacteria. Today, these bacteria have been renamed Archaea.

From this work, Dr. Woese proposed that there should be a new caterogy of classification of life - the Domain, a classification category above Kingdom. The Historic Paper: Woese, C.R., O. Kandler, & M.L. Wheelis (1990). "Towards a natural system of organisms: Proposal for the domains Archaea, Bacteria, and Eucarya." Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 87:4576-4579.

I hope this casts some more light on the matter. The emphasis is mine. Archaebacteria seemed to be a 'middleman' between bacteria and critters with a nucleus bounded by a nuclear membrane (eukaryotes).

Edited by jimmydasaint

• 2 months later...

I'm pretty sure I learned about these domains in my college biology class. Seems like a good classification system to me...until a totally new completely different type of life form is eventually discovered ;)

Jarred Y

Web Developer

Claremont BioSolutions

www.claremontbiosolutions.com

There's a new Paradigm that applies across Biology and Cosmology which indicates that there are 37 types of biological organism within five domains comprising one meta-domain of four and one meta-domain of one. Biological evolution occurred twice, with the meta-domain of one becoming extinct.

typology

What is this? Another one hit wonder? How about a link to this info?