Ion Concentration Question

guitarch94

Hey everyone,

I am in Chemistry 11 and we've just started learning about ion concentration and titration. I'm not sure if I did this correctly but I need help with this one question:

"What is the concentration of each ion in the solution formed when 94.5 g of nickel (III) sulphate is dissolved into 850.0 mL of water?"

For the equation I came up with: Ni2(SO4)3 + 6H20 2Ni + 6OH + 6H + 3SO4

Is this this correct?

Then I assume you take 94.5/.85L to get the molar concentration and you use the concentration and use stoichiometry to find the concentration for each of the ions?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by guitarch94

Hey everyone,

I am in Chemistry 11 and we've just started learning about ion concentration and titration. I'm not sure if I did this correctly but I need help with this one question:

Remember to convert grams to moles first. Molar concentration [molarity] is in units of [imath] mol \cdot L^{-1} [/imath].

Your equation should also have charges. For example, [ce] Ni [/ce] should be [ce] Ni^{3+} [/ce]. Sorry if I'm being a bit of a stickler here, can't help it.

Edited by mississippichem

Remember to convert grams to moles first. Molar concentration [molarity] is in units of [imath] mol \cdot L^{-1} [/imath].

Your equation should also have charges. For example, [ce] Ni [/ce] should be [ce] Ni^{3+} [/ce]. Sorry if I'm being a bit of a stickler here, can't help it.

So other than these problems, we find the molarity of Ni, OH, H, SO4 ?

edit: Hold on, first we find the molarity on the left side but is it the molarity of the water or Ni2(SO4)3 ? Because we have the 850 mL of water to calculate the initial molarity....

Edited by guitarch94

No one answered my main part of my question...so I rephrased it.

What I'm really asking is, once you find the molarity, which is done by changing 94.5g to moles then divide over .85L (right?), then you use stoichiometry to find the molarity of EACH of the ions(Ni3+, OH1-, H1+, SO42- )?

Sorry I'm bad at chemistry. :(

EDIT:Hmm, should the chemical equation be something along the lines like this?

Ni2(SO4)3 ---> 2Ni3+ + 3SO42-

so we don't include the water?

Edited by guitarch94