Hate advice

mab

I feel that someties when advice is given, there is an air of superiority saying "Ha! my idea is better!" I hate getting advice becasue I find that 9 out of 10 times is it condescending. No one wants to hear, even with the best intentions in mind "you need to lose weight" or "you must find Jesus in your life". It makes you feel like you aren;t doing something right.

It definately depands on how advice is presented and whether is is appreciated or not. Much advice is unheeded...It's a process of growing up. Kids have to make their own mistakes. It's a fact of life. It's the most effective way to learn.

In eastern cultures children are tought to respect there parents words ' date=' In western cultures most children are tought through television

[/quote']

Do you think that the reason for this difference is modern technology, its availability and the willingness to use it? :)

Good point, questionable though. It's not only children who cant take a hint.

But yes, I see what you mean about the point of education thing.

I agree with that, schools remove children from the community for most of the day,

If parents aren’t wise and even tempered in their discipline… sure kids are going to think the old folks have nothing of worth to offer.

• 2 weeks later...

I think a much better question would be why it's so hard to TAKE advice before we have the experience with it.

I can't say how many times my parents told me I needed to do my homework and while I knew they were probably right I just kept on with my slackin' and now I realize the error of my ways. Too bad really. And it happens all too often.