Speaking of 2012.

I was surprised to note that in this place of quality and higher learning that no one is speaking of 2012 and it’s spatial consequences or possibilities.Personally, I do not believe any of the speculations but do wonder just how advanced our forefathers were and why they would bother creating such a long term calandar.

Do you consider the doomsday scenarios as bogus as I do or is there anyone who gives 2012 some serious thought?

Regards

DL

What, exactly, do you wish us to discuss about 2012 as opposed to, say, 2013 or 2011? As you mentioned, we're a science forum, so we go by substantiation and actual evidence.

• The myth discussions about 2012 being a Mayan magical date deal with magic, not science.
  • Galactic alignment already happened in 1998 (with nothing happening, of course) and will not happen again in 2012, so that's out.
  • Planet X/Nibiru doesn't really exist, so the chance it will hit us is absolutely nonexistent. Moreover, while we do have trouble spotting asteroids on potential collision course with earth until it's relatively "late" (a few months in advance) that is mainly because they're very very very very small. Very small. A planet is big. We'd have seen it. It doesn't exist.
  • Solar maxima happen every 11 years or so, and it never destroyed the earth. The next maximum is going to happen around 2012-2014 (notice, this would mean "doomsday" average at 2013... run!) and is expected to be about average. It's true that we seem to be a bit more worried nowadays about solar flares than we used to, but this is because any slightly bigger solar flare that's directed at the Earth risks our satellites and other objects in space, including our astronauts. We didn't have astronauts or as many satellites 100 years ago. And yes, we were worried about solar flares and our satellites 11 years ago, too.

Here are two sites with great summaries of the claims about 2012 and the explanations of actual science behind them:

So, yeah, I do consider the doomsday scenarios totally bogus.

There's no reason for a doomsday at 2012 other than, perhaps, one that follows the US elections.

~mooey

• 2 months later...

I have always been confused about this Polar Shift scenario! Exactly how does the poles reversal have any bearing on geological process with the exception of alignment of iron bearing minerals, as seen in oceanic crust lithologies? I’m sure most you of you know someone who is obsessed with the Myan 2012 'Issue' or the so called biblical rapture! My friend is always telling me about all these so called scientific proofs that something is going on, but I see it as heaps of unrelated phenomena where people (mainly the scientifically uninformed) are making factious links and creating a false reality. Surely it’s obvious that its speculation from the array of issues were going to have, such as the so called passing of Comet Eleine or the current transition into the Solar Maximum. sadly, my friend gets all this info from a website called 'truth Behind the Scenes' which to be honest can easily be discredited as it even talks about a so called 'Hollow Earth Theory'. Sadly, I believe most of these truth websites are created by the scientifically uninformed.

Anyway, getting back to my original question, can anyone help me with an explanation how a Polar Shift can affect the dynamics of the mantle to cause earthquakes?

I guess the main reason why people don't discuss it is because a) We aren't superstitious "people" and b) it's boring. Really, who hasn't been through this debate over and over again? Nothing will happen. It is bunk. Please devote your time to something more fruitful, like proving the existence of god ;)

Anyway, getting back to my original question, can anyone help me with an explanation how a Polar Shift can affect the dynamics of the mantle to cause earthquakes?

I don't think it would cause earthquakes as it takes so frakkin long to occur.

I was surprised to note that in this place of quality and higher learning that no one is speaking of 2012 and it's spatial consequences or possibilities.Personally, I do not believe any of the speculations but do wonder just how advanced our forefathers were and why they would bother creating such a long term calandar.

Do you consider the doomsday scenarios as bogus as I do or is there anyone who gives 2012 some serious thought?

Regards

DL

There is no doubt of a catastrophe in 2012. However it will not occur on Dec 21, but rather on Nov 6 -- election day. This calamity seems to be periodic, with a 4-year cycle.

And will be vaulted so high in the air she will be able to see Russia.

and the Russians would see the airborne Palin and will class it as a surprise attack! Instant retaliation of their full Nuclear Arsenal.. BOOM!!!!!!! End of the world!!!