Getting Big Business out of politics

Phi for All

Oh I see. Silly me, I lost track of the thread!

I'm not sure I have an answer for you, but in an obvious and slightly embarassed effort to keep the conversation going, I'll mention something else. (grin)

I think an under-recognized impact of the present 527 situation is that it further insulates the candidates from negative advertising. They don't have to do as much of it because the 527s are doing it for them. Furthermore, when they DO present some of it, it doesn't look as bad because it's tame in comparison with what the 527s are doing.

A big problem with politics is people often attack the person, not the subject. It happens in all debates it seems. If you cant discredit a topic, then discredit the source.
Too true. The ad hominem attack has been applied to every president and presidential candidate that I can remember.

So where did the idea of "spin-doctoring" stem from? Was it an offshoot of business marketing or does it have it's roots in politics? Because I think a big part of spin is attacking the person rather than the subject or the idea.

Imo, capitalism works best with lots of competition, and the bigger businesses get, the less competiton there is. One of their biggest threats is their influence in politics. Any thoughts on how we can curb this unfair influence?

Sure. Reduce the state's influence over the private sector.