Chemistry redox reactions?

qwerty1

Can someone help me with redox reactions . It is urgent.

Are these half-reactions correct :

It is from this equation

Mn2+ + NaBiO3 + H+ -----> MnO2 + Bi3+ + Na+ + H2O

Mn2+ ---> MnO2 + 2e-

NaBiO3 + 2e- ---> Bi3+

This is another equation :

Mn2+ + NaBiO3 + H+ -----> MnO4- + Bi3+ + H2O + Na+

I need the oxidation reduction equation for it . Please explain it to me as you do it. Don't just

answer it

This is another equation:

MnO4- + H2O2 + H+ ------> Mn2+ + O2

I don't understand which oxygen will be oxidized since there are two of them on the left

one is in MnO4 and one in H2O2...please give me an explanation

Thanks. I appreciate the help

Report to moderator ip.gif98.25.95.12

Can someone help me with redox reactions . It is urgent.

Are these half-reactions correct :

It is from this equation

Mn2+ + NaBiO3 + H+ -----> MnO2 + Bi3+ + Na+ + H2O

Mn2+ ---> MnO2 + 2e-

NaBiO3 + 2e- ---> Bi3+

In terms of the electrons, it looks correct.

This is another equation :

Mn2+ + NaBiO3 + H+ -----> MnO4- + Bi3+ + H2O + Na+

I need the oxidation reduction equation for it . Please explain it to me as you do it. Don't just

answer it

Mn2+ --> MnO4- is going from +2 (due to it's charge) to +7, so it's being oxidised.

NaBiO3 --> Bi3+ (like in the previous question) is going from +5 to +3, so it's being reduced.

The Na and H remains at +1, the O remains at -2

This is another equation:

MnO4- + H2O2 + H+ ------> Mn2+ + O2

I don't understand which oxygen will be oxidized since there are two of them on the left

one is in MnO4 and one in H2O2...please give me an explanation

Thanks. I appreciate the help

The oxygens in the MnO4 and in H2O2 will be oxidised, as they're forming O2. All the oxygens are losing electrons, so they're all being oxidised.

Edited by ceribethlem

Ceribethlam,

For future reference, try not to simply give out answers to what are clearly homework questions. Secondly, one of your answers was wrong. So if you are going to give help to people in chemistry in the future, please check you are giving correct advise.

Qwerty,

A few things you need to take notice of when doing these questions:

The total ionic charge of a species is equal to the sum of the charges of its components. There are a few rules to pay attention to when working out the charge on each individual atom within a molecule. The major ones for you are that oxygen and hydrogen, when present as part of a compound, have charges of 2- and 1+ respectively. The exception for oxygen is in the case of peroxides (such as H2O2), where it has a charge of 1-. The other thing to remember is that molecular species, such as O2, N2 etc have a charge of 0. You can use this information quite to work out the charges of other species within a compound, or conversely, the net charge of the compound itself. As an example, if knowing that H and O have 1+ and 2- charge respectively, I can say that the net charge of a water molecule is 0. This is because the net charge of the compound is equal to the sum if the charges of it's components. Thus, the net charge of water = 2 [+1] (for the 2 hydrogens) + [-2] = 0. You could also work the reverse way to get the charge of say, oxygen, where you know the net charge of the compound it's in (water in this example, so 0). The correlations that ceribethlam made regarding which species were being oxidized and reduced were correct, but you need to watch for that peroxide in the last question. The oxygens in the permanganate are all 2-, but the peroxide oxygens are not.

Hope the helps.

Edited by hypervalent_iodine