Need help understanding immuno literature terms

gfdsa146

I'm taking my first graduate/phd level immunology course. My prof has made it a task to assign a recently published paper to the class to present every week. He basically just hands us the paper and it's up to us to understand it. I have a lot of trouble in understanding some of the terms that, only if heard by an immunologist, would instantly know what it's experimental purpose is. My prof is strongly advocating a hands off sort of learning so I thought maybe you guys might be willing to help me out.

This is the paper we got for this week http://www.jimmunol.org/content/184/5/2476.abstract

What are LATY163F mice? What experimental purpose do they usually serve in an immunology study?

What is a HY transgenic TCR model? What is HY for that matter? What is it used for experimentally?

My advice is to follow up the papers that have been cited as well as search for reviews on that particular area (alternatively, get a good textbook and check out the appendix). Especially pay attention to the references in the introduction. I am not an immunologist, but based on the abstract we can conclude that the mouse line in question has a mutation at the indicated amino acid position of LAT. This inhibits the interaction with the PLC-γ1 protein resulting in the described developmental effects. They created another mouse line in which this problem was circumvented to study the interaction with LAT and PLC-γ1 without the developmental interference.

HY is an antigen that is recognized by TCR. From the little what I remember the system played a role during T-cell selection.

My advice is to follow up the papers that have been cited as well as search for reviews on that particular area (alternatively, get a good textbook and check out the appendix).

Reviews are hard to access since my home computer isn't suscribed to any journals.

I do actually read these papers with a textbook next to me. Two, in fact. Janeway's Immunobiology and Lehninger's Principles of Biochemistry. They both help to some degree but there are still terms, like LAT-Y136F mice and the HY thing, that are really only practical experimental terms and don't come up much in theory [and therefore not in these textbooks]. I use google too before posting it here; I'm obviously not asking for you guys to do my homework for me.

I figure that LAT is the mutation introduced, but what is a Y136F mouse

Here's a download link - https://www.yousendit.com/download/T2pIMWZQcGtwcFh2Wmc9PQ

Haha! I figured out what LATY136F mice are! They're mice that have a mutation at the 136th amino acid, which is normally a tyrosine (Y), in their LAT protein! I'm guessing the F means that the mutation changed Y136 to an F136. Y136 is a binding site for PLC-gamma

Haha! I figured out what LATY136F mice are! They're mice that have a mutation at the 136th amino acid, which is normally a tyrosine (Y), in their LAT protein! I'm guessing the F means that the mutation changed Y136 to an F136. Y136 is a binding site for PLC-gamma

Edited by gfdsa146

Excellent. That was what I meant with the mutation at the indicated position. Regarding journals, isn't there a way to access the journals that your uni is subscribed to via proxy? Often the library website has links for that.

For HY, check male antigen.