Dry, odor-free, purely-convective air-heating system?

Green Xenon

Hi:

I'm looking for an air-heating system with the following qualities:

1. No part of the system should produce any odor -- I notice many heaters give off a smell which distracts me from daily tasks.

2. No part of the system should generate any CO2, CO, or water vapor -- this means it cannot be directly fueled by gas or other chemicals.

3. No part of the system should require any water -- this means absolutely no hydronic thermal devices.

4. No part of the system should contain, produce, or use any toxic substances to any extent.

What do you suggest?

Thanks a bunch and Happy Holidays,

Green Xenon

An old-school radiator filled with glycerin instead of water (what do you have against water, anyway?) that is heated with a solar array during the day and stored in an insulated reservoir for night time use.

1. I like to separate heat and humidity

2. Glycerin is just as bad as water

3. I don't like any radiant heating system that emits thermal radiation outside of the Infrared-C spectrum

Infrared-C= 100,000 nm to 3,000 nm

4. I prefer clean, dry, hot, smell-free, smoke-free, irritant-free, dust-free, allergen-free, dirt-free air that is as hot as it can get without increasing sweat gland activity in the average human. The relative humidity of the room should be as low as possible.

5. The relative CO2 concentration in the room should be as low as possible.

Edited by Green Xenon

I noticed that you have posted at least 6 different threads on roughly the same topic (link 1, link 2, link 3, link 4, link 5, link 6).

Many people - of which quite a few are experts - have told you to use central heating with radiators. You keep refusing because you seem to think that a radiator emits the wrong spectrum... or that it evaporates water. It doesn't.

You have no rational reasons why you want the weird heating system that you describe, other than that it smells... and central heating with hot-water radiators don't smell. (If they do smell, you should just clean your house more frequently).

A radiator is just a lump of metal with paint on it that gets to 60-70 degrees Celsius. Water is circulated, not evaporated. If that was dangerous, life wouldn't exist on this planet. On a hot summer day, things in nature can get that hot - and therefore nature emits radiation like that. Water evaporates all the time. You're a greater source of water evaporation yourself than any radiator system. You exhale more CO2 than any radiator system. Heating systems with radiators lose their CO2 and water through the chimney. We seem to have survived that radiation, water vapor and CO2 during the last 3.7 billion years just fine.

Hi:

1. No part of the system should produce any odor -- I notice many heaters give off a smell which distracts me from daily tasks.

2. No part of the system should generate any CO2, CO, or water vapor -- this means it cannot be directly fueled by gas or other chemicals.

3. No part of the system should require any water -- this means absolutely no hydronic thermal devices.

4. No part of the system should contain, produce, or use any toxic substances to any extent.

What do you suggest?

Thanks a bunch and Happy Holidays,

Green Xenon

3. I don't like any radiant heating system that emits thermal radiation outside of the Infrared-C spectrum

4. I prefer clean, dry, hot, smell-free, smoke-free, irritant-free, dust-free, allergen-free, dirt-free air that is as hot as it can get without increasing sweat gland activity in the average human. The relative humidity of the room should be as low as possible.

Why all the arbitrary restrictions? I'm genuinely curious.

Why all the arbitrary restrictions? I'm genuinely curious.

I thought I already answered that question. No offense.

In any case, isn't it possible to use air friction or air compression to heat air to desired temperatures during winter? Or would those techniques be too inefficient to be used in practice?

I thought I already answered that question. No offense.

In any case, isn't it possible to use air friction or air compression to heat air to desired temperatures during winter? Or would those techniques be too inefficient to be used in practice?

I Looked back through the related threads. I guess I don't understand. Why no water if no humidity will be produced?

1. I'm not aware of ANY heaters in the industrialized world that mixes heat and humidity.

2) OK, but... Why? It's not like you're coming into contact with either the water or the glycerin in any way shape or form. Nor are they toxic so there are no end-of-service-life clean up issues.

3) Spectrum is controllable via temperature, no?

4) So go find whatever heating system it was that gave you this preference and install it. Or move to Chile.

If you want dry air, you're really dependent on your local weather. You can probably get a dehumidifier installed in any central-air system, or install them by your radiators if you use those. That's more effective than hoping that the local weather is always dry.

Really dry air isn't always good, though, since it encourages dry skin, irritates the respiratory system and encourages static shocks to build up.

If you want dry air, you're really dependent on your local weather. You can probably get a dehumidifier installed in any central-air system, or install them by your radiators if you use those. That's more effective than hoping that the local weather is always dry.

Really dry air isn't always good, though, since it encourages dry skin, irritates the respiratory system and encourages static shocks to build up.

1. I do wish to install a dehumidifier in my house. The weather isn't of much concern to me.

2. The irritation you refer to is not a direct result of dry air -- it is because dry air allows existing dust and other irritants to move more freely than humid air. Humidity holds those irritating particles down. In this case, an air-purifying system [which removes pollen, dust, dander, etc.] can be installed to keep the air clean.

2. The irritation you refer to is not a direct result of dry air -- it is because dry air allows existing dust and other irritants to move more freely than humid air. Humidity holds those irritating particles down. In this case, an air-purifying system [which removes pollen, dust, dander, etc.] can be installed to keep the air clean.

no, it is to do with the dryness of the air.

at my work we have class 10000 clean rooms so its pretty free of dust and irritants(and there are the environmental monitoring checks to prove this) and its also of low humidity for other reasons. the dry air is quite irritating after prolonged exposure.

humidity doesn't 'hold down' dust and irritants thats just phooey. you can have humid dusty air and you can have dry clean air.

1. I do wish to install a dehumidifier in my house. The weather isn't of much concern to me.

It's also a result of the dry air absorbing moisture from your mucus membranes and respiratory tissues, drying them out and making them vulnerable. You'll also be getting static shocks from everything you touch.

Personally, I think you have set yourself some targets, which are obviously based on some underlying assumptions. And I think we should be discussing those underlying assumptions (all of them), and not these criteria for a heating (or cooling) system... because I think those underlying assumptions may be false.

Perhaps you should write a question in the medical science subforum about health related issues of humidity and dust. We can discuss existing heating systems, and their effects on the air, in this thread.

Central heating radiators are these things (link). They are filled with water, but the water cannot get out. The water in the radiator cools down, and the air in your room heats up. Then water then circulates back to a heater where it is heated up again...

The air does not get any extra water, and it does not lose any water... but obviously, because the temperature increases, the relative humidity drops. I am not an expert in dust - but I think that the type of covering for your floor (carpet vs. wood for example) makes a much bigger impact on the dust than the heating system.

(...)

What do you suggest?

1. a dog. But it smells

2. a girl. The odor is better, you will generate water vapor not the system, the system may require no water whisky or champagne will do, and the substances produced are non toxic.

I whish you excellent holidays.

-----------------------------------------------------------

More seriously:

There are on the market several products of radiative electric heating systems, either from the floor or from the ceiling. Both are build-in and usually suitable for small rooms (corridors, bathrooms). Since electricity becomes green (when produced by wind or sun), I think this kind of system meets your requirements.

_You can also use common electric radiative heater (simple panels without oil or water), IIRC there are some systems that incorporate electric wiring into marble stone that radiate. You can also use more simply light bulbs. Note that efficiency is not high, and if your electricity provider uses gas, it is one of the worst choice environnementaly speaking.

There are also those storage heaters that use electricity at low cost (at night) to accumulate energy in fire bricks that radiate during the day.

_you can burn wood. Emission of co2 from wood is not considered a damage for environnement because wood is not fossile energy. But it smells. Good. And it fits well with the girl previously mentioned.

--------------------------------------------------------

BTW as Captain suggested, conventional radiators (with water) make the ambiant air dry: you must use a humidifier*, not a dehumidifier.

*these are those old fashioned vases that you hang in contact with the radiator, and you fill with water. Or high-tech electrical devices you pay a bunch of money for exactly the same purpose & the same result.

Edited by michel123456