Gravity

Akash Kagi

Hello everybody,

Today is my first day on science forum. I am studying in 9th std. I came upon the following question in my text book, which I was unable to answer. So I am posting this on the scince forum, seeking your help. The question is-

"During which situation may an object dropped from a certain height not fall to the earth?"

Thanks and regards.

What have you come up with so far?

Thanks Swansont,

For your kind attention. Basically, I have not understood the question itself.

The question comes under the section ACCELERATION DUE TO GRAVITY

It reads as under-

Objects thrown vertically upwards move for a certain distance and then fall back to the ground. It is due to the gravitational force of the earth.

Every particle of matter in the universe attracts every other particle.

The credit proving this, stating the universal law of gravitation and inventing the method of calculating gravitational force goes to Sir Isaac Newton.

A body accelerates if and only if the resultant of all the forces acting on it is not equal to zero.

Does a body falling towards the ground accelerate due to gravitational force?

And then in a box with the heading THINK IT OVER the question is given.

Thanks Swansont,

For your kind attention. Basically, I have not understood the question itself.

The question comes under the section ACCELERATION DUE TO GRAVITY

It reads as under-

Objects thrown vertically upwards move for a certain distance and then fall back to the ground. It is due to the gravitational force of the earth.

Every particle of matter in the universe attracts every other particle.

The credit proving this, stating the universal law of gravitation and inventing the method of calculating gravitational force goes to Sir Isaac Newton.

A body accelerates if and only if the resultant of all the forces acting on it is not equal to zero.

Does a body falling towards the ground accelerate due to gravitational force?

And then in a box with the heading THINK IT OVER the question is given.

Hi everybody,

I am trying to help Akash Kagi, but I am not sure, if I am right.

I think the context gives an indication to the answer.

"A body accelerates if and only if the resultant of all the forces acting on it is not equal to zero."

So the answer to the question -

"During which situation may an object dropped from a certain height not fall to the earth?"

may be;

A "situation" where the object which is droped [or whatever] is being acted upon by another force counter to the gravity, such that the net resultant force is zero- and so it does not fall to the earth. Something like a GLIDER may be an example.

Thank you.

Hello everybody,

Today is my first day on science forum. I am studying in 9th std. I came upon the following question in my text book, which I was unable to answer. So I am posting this on the scince forum, seeking your help. The question is-

Thanks and regards.

My guess, The situation that causes the object to burn up in the atmosphere.

Not acceptable answers are ( I think so):

1. when the dropped object is lighter than air.

2. when the object is a sheet of paper & you drop it in the center of a hurricane.

3. when the object is a bird.(a living one)

4. when the object is an airplane.(with pilot)

5. when the object is a helicopter.(see before)

6. when the object is dropped from a ship (it will fall to sea and not to earth, there is a capital letter missing at earth)

7. when the object is dropped on Mars. (after correcting the capital)

8. ...?

The probable answer can be that when the object doesn't experience the gravity i.e. in space (condition: outside Earth's gravity field), the object won't be dropped". It will remain wherever it is. But again it

is something not the answer for a 17year student. He needs to know what are the forces acting on the body.

The other thing can be that a body, here say an empty mug of water, when submerged in a bucketful of water and forcibly pushed down, will comeback with a bounce due to equivalent buoyant force. But

again it is not dropping of an object. But yes, when certain force counterbalancing gravity, can make the object remain afloat or atleast might not allow the object to fall.

Comments and reviews are highly welcomed as I am new too!

;)

Chinmay

The probable answer can be that when the object doesn't experience the gravity i.e. in space (condition: outside Earth's gravity field), the object won't be dropped".

The homework is well past due (this thread is three weeks old now), so the answer can be given. Something orbiting the Earth such as an artificial satellite or the Moon is not outside Earth's gravity field. The best way to look at an orbiting body is that it is perpetually falling toward the Earth.

I missed insane_alien's post #15. That is just about spot-on. This is something a 17 year old in AP physics should be able to answer.

Edited by D H