Fear of future

mab

• 1 month later...

Just try to remember that we never really get to tomorrow, because by the time it comes around, it's metamorphosized into today. See, no mo' 'morrow!! Also, fear of aliens (and i'm not talkin' mexicans) is a 100% valid fear.... i know i've been afraad of 'um since that night in the mountains a year or so back... man, i got sooo laid that night!!! I'm sorry, i'm so sorry,

i don't think it's possible to completely get rid of a fear without facing it.

if you are afraid of what others think of you, doing something about your appearance will only make you afraid to go back to your normal self. that is a very bad idea.

if you are afraid of an event that will happen tomorrow, the only things you can do are avoid the event, or face the event.

the best thing you can do is understand your fear, then you can make a rational decision on what to do about it.

the only real way to make a fear go away is to stop caring (making it irrational is a way to do this). i personally prefer the robust method of simply stopping the fear, and being courageous.

When I was 4 I was afraid of the dark, but I realized that when the lights were out, things were just about the same and there was no logical reason for being afraid of dark.

unless you were directly afraid of the absence of light, that can't be all to the story. normally children are afraid that a monster will attack them at night, this is because it is harder to see at night, and you have more blind spots, and shadows where monsters can hide. although this can definitely cause a fear of the absence of light. in the process of realizing that things were just about the same in the dark and the light, you must have also realized that monsters don't automatically appear at night, and that since you've never seen a monster, there is no reasoning behind the fear of a monster coming out at night.

• 3 weeks later...

Thales ,

Fear of Future , could this also be described as fear for the unknown since I think the unknown seems more imaginable than the future , as we can see things to exist in our mind in the future since the future doesn't exist in actuallity .

as for the irrational thought being the base of this fear 'predicting what will happen on the premise of the future being unpredictable ' well I think I can agree to that idea .

for example ;

At night 2 am in the morning , all lights are off & everyone is sleeping , the back door squeeks open you wake up and you hear footsteps stepping through the kitchen ,

What happens next ?

will you go out there and check who it is , stay in your bed so the person thinks your not paying any attention or ask who's out there , it would be frightening for single females living on there own knowing especially that there city is well known for crimes against women .

hmmmmm ...

Would this be an irrational reaction afterall or not , this fear is NOT irrational since it is being based on the premise of ' the city well known for crimes against women ' , the number one rule for humans is to stop ourselves from dying and crimes do just that as there is an unpredictability if you will die through crime .

Crimes does cause trauma depending on the severity and this may trigger the fear of unknown in people for those who wern't aware that crime was going to happen ( unexpected , unpredicted therefore unknown ).

In some cases where Glider mentioned being 'habitual' , criminals are habitual therefore less vulnerable to trauma .

Advice ..

I would go with thales advice ,definining what is more rational and positive than irrational .