Keep Persisting With Those Job Applications

RonPrice

Applying for jobs as extensively as I did in the days before the email and the internet came on board in the early 1990s, became an activity, for me, that sometimes resembled a dry-wretch. Four to five thousand job applications from 1957 to 2007 has been a lot of applications! At least since the mid-1990s, a few clicks of one’s personal electronic-computer system and some aspect of life’s game could go on or could come to a quick end over a set of wires under the ground, the electronic world of cyberspace. During that half-century of job-hunting years I applied, as I say, for some four to five thousand jobs, an average of two a week for each of all those years! This is a guesstimation, of course, as accurate a guesstimation as I can calculate for this fifty year period. The great bulk, 99.9% of those thousands of letters involved in this vast, detailed and, from time to time, exhausting and frustrating process, I did not keep. I did keep a small handful of them, perhaps half a dozen of all those letters, in a file in my Letters: Section VII, Sub-Section X, a part of my autobiographical work which is now entitled Pioneering Over Four Epochs. So...keep at it folks---it can be a long story....Ron

post-7009-0-01672600-1291377344_thumb.jpg

Things are genuinely hard these days. Cuts and fear of cuts in science funding all add to an abysmal situation. The public sector here in the UK also faces a tough time.

Not the best of times to be looking for position. But I will indeed take your advice and keep on trying.

I got the first faculty position I applied for.

What was it like finding your first postdoc? I am really struggling.

This is despite being the soul author of two papers and the internal examiner saying that my PhD thesis was "very impressive". :(

What was it like finding your first postdoc? I am really struggling.

This is despite being the soul author of two papers and the internal examiner saying that my PhD thesis was "very impressive". :(

To start with I didn't get offered any postdocs at all. Then, during the summer, someone pulled out of a (rather good) postdoc job, and they needed a replacement quickly. I was just at the right place at the right time.

In other words, just like in every other walk of life, whether you are successful or not is largely random.

Academic merit alone won't get you very far, as the market is just too crowded to shine with that alone. However, having a strong network will increase your chances being at the right place at the right time.

Edited by CharonY

Sometimes I think the reason it doesn't work to get a job for a while is that you're applying to the best you can find out of pragmatism but somewhere you know there's a more perfect job for you possible and this comes through in your application. At some point a job that's perfect for you will seem to just find you more than you found it. You may have sent an email half-heartedly as yet another fleeting attempt and you even thought that job was long gone to another applicant and yet, voila', you get an email or a call. In the meantime, you have the opportunity to reflect on your field and labor economics generally. You can reflect on the ultimate social-economic philosophical question: i.e. "what is the point of human labor-capacity?"