making nitric acid

boris_73

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you're supposed to have two bottles (thick glass or something), put the potassium nitrate and H2SO4 in the other bottle and leave the other bottle empty, then connect them with a hose and seal any openings with duct tape. Then place them so that the empty bottle is lower than the other bottle, and then place something cold under the empty. This a) just might work b) just not might work because there's a some sort of problem with nitric acid's forming (just can't remember what it was) or c) I remembered it wrong and the distillation method I told is freaking nonsense. :/ Hope someone who knows more about this sort of things can answer this. YT? bud?

i dont mean to be rude but you have got that method from the anarchist cook book and the methods mentiond in the are completley misleading, extremly unsafe, and are very vague in mentioning the safty precautions and i will not be doing anything mentiond from there and nor should you for your own safty but Thank you anyway

ok, take a heating plate and dissolve your nitrate salt in sulfuric acid (the more conc the acid the better your results) in a beaker over the plate. get GLASS tube to go between that beaker and another beaker that has water in it. you will want to make sure that there is no space connecting the outside atmosphere with this system. duct tape will not help you as the nitric will attack it. when you heat the system, nitric acid gas will come out, through the tube and into your other beaker. pressure will cause it to dissolve in the water.

ah forgot the chems.

get sulfuric from car batteries; just open, pour acid into a bowl, then filter the insoluble salts. you should get around 40% conc sulfuric from car batteries. as for the nitrate, look for salt peter or soda of nitrate. in the united states, we no longer are able to purchase it in stores. if you are feeling ambitious, look in old barns for manure with white powder in it. that is nitrate synthesized by bacterial action. if you are hopeless, urinate on feces and wait a week or two. it sounds absolutely grotesque (which it is) but if you need nitrate... theres also a plant that makes it.

that ways fine but it does not go in too any real detail i am really greatful though, i want to make about 500ml min 2.5ltr max at about 70% concentrated. so if anybody could give me detail that would be great, or even better again if someone could tell me where to buy the nitric acid in england that would help.

Yes boris you are correct. I got it from some not-so-good-source-of-info like the cookbook, and I noticed that it wasn't too safe. But hey, I was pretty close to bud's instructions (and if you manage to find acid proof duct tape then you're all set). :)

"get sulfuric from car batteries"

I thought about doing that (to make perhaps permanganic acid or try the "piranha bath"), but those things are darn expensive! How much acid is there in one normally? I wouldn't want to spend too much cash for just a few drops of H2SO4. :)

actually, KNO3 can be purchased at any brooks pharmacy. in 6oz containers. so can flowers of sulfur...lawn and garden centers no longer carry 10lb bags of the stuff though. lol. make sure your beaker doesnt directly contact that hot plate, use some veggie oil in between, so you get even heating.

NO2 reacts with water so I just put a few drops of indicator solution along with some water in a jar and sealed another jar on top of that with a Jacobs’s ladder inside.

Obviously this isn’t a real practical process but it was an interesting experiment.

Also if you leave the water out you can see the brown/red NO2.

Hmmmm.... Maybe so. I dont know how relible you guys consider wikipedia.

"Nitric acid is made by mixing nitrogen dioxide (NO2), with water."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitric_acid

Edit: Also, if you decide to do this yourself be careful about the temperature inside the jars. The jars in the picture violently exploded throwing glass shrapnel everywhere.

Edit2: Doh... I wrote down NO3 in my lab notes... hrmmmm....

Edit3: wait no, that must have just been a typo... It says NO2 on the rest of the notes. :D

the sulphuric and KNO3 distilation will work perfectly, but it MUST be done in all glass apparatus, no corks or rubber stoppers (unless you cover them with teflon plumbers tape).

NO2 and water will also make Nitric acid, as will Oxidation of Ammonia (used in Industry).

you can get a weak soln of nitric acid from some craft shops, it`s used to clean up copper metals before electroplating.

store it in Brown glass bottles or Aluminium.

YT2095 when distilling could i just use a distilling beaker leading of into a flask or should i use a condenser as well leading it off into a flask, and also how much potassium nitrate and sulphuric acid should i add to make about 500ml or 2.5ltr any will do thank you

actually, KNO3 can be purchased at any brooks pharmacy. in 6oz containers. so can flowers of sulfur...lawn and garden centers no longer carry 10lb bags of the stuff though. lol. make sure your beaker doesnt directly contact that hot plate, use some veggie oil in between, so you get even heating.

brooks pharmacy is a american ferm we do not get brooks pharmacy in england. thank you anyway

use a condensor! for 2 reasons; 1) you`ll be wasting your product 2) you`ll be gassing yourself!

keep your receiver vessel on ice too.

as for the quantities 2 parts KNO3 to 1 part H2SO4, leaving potassium sulphate in your distillation flask and 2 parts HNO3 in the receiver.