most pointless computer software

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't malware a type of software?

Ah, wikipedia says "malware" is "malicious software" so it IS SOFTWARE!!!!!

Computer software (or simply software) refers to one or more computer programs and data held in the storage of a computer for some purpose.

Or, dictionary.com:

The programs, routines, and symbolic languages that control the functioning of the hardware and direct its operation.

It doesn't have to be at the wish of the user.

software: something made by programing or coding

hardware: a physical something

what sayo was talking about was that software is then further divided into more sections, such as malware, programs etc.

a virus is software and malware at the same time :D

Isn't malware a type of software?

Ah' date=' wikipedia says "malware" is "malicious software" so it IS SOFTWARE!!!!![/quote']

*SIGH*

You are using the composition fallacy and apparently have forgotten what sets are.

Malware includes everything from installable software that contains spyware, such as Bonzi Buddy, down to single pieces of script that are two words long and open infinite windows. Just because one member of a group has a certain quality, it does not mean all members in the group share that same quality.

The vast majority of viruses are NOT programs. They are merely instructions that are intended to be picked up and executed by programs on the host system.

You could probably call trojans software, but it would depend on the specific trojan in question.

Or, dictionary.com:

It doesn't have to be at the wish of the user.

See sig.

a virus is software and malware at the same time

Jeez.

Again, based on the original post I don't see the point of discussing viruses. If you take the view that they are software to be considered, then as Bloodhound said the "user" is the person who launched the virus, and as such they are still useful to someone, so they don't qualify as being pointless even if you are twisting definitions of software in a retarded effort to include every scrap of code.

by odburo definition.... bin laden and 9/11 was amazing.... the fact is that' date=' whilsts it may be good planing or programing and it might be well made and good at what its meant to do... that doesnt mean they are useful and whilsts they have a purpose they are unneeded and unwanted in society and life

[i']i agree with pulkit[/i]

If you would re-read my post you might notice that I do not justify virus creaters, if they release their "products" into the wild. However, I believe that releasing a virus into an isolated enviroment can be both educational and entertaining as it can teach you quite a bit about computer networks, OS in a network enviroment and so on.

By the way 5614. Comparing a virus to a terrorist attack is not that a strong argument against them. Consider for example this, do you think your government wouldn't use one if it was more or less just as effective as sending in the army, with the slight advantage of being a lot safer? Would you still call it a terrorist attack? (Although the above example is not very descriptiv it is still valid).

As for you pulkit. Writing a virus is a good way to hone your skills.

Now. I have no intention to discuss this any further as it is off topic (and I'm ill).

Okay then, tell us, since every teacher I have ever known says that there is only software and hardware, what are viruses?

Your teachers were illustrating a simple and general relationship, not reducing the whole of computing into a six-word sentence.

I already told you - a virus is a set of instructions. It can't do anything on its own, hence the name "virus".

no software can do anything on its own. ur arguement is flawed

I think you'll find that your logic is flawed, since the statement you quoted was not an argument.

Software takes input, performs tasks, and passes output to the user. It is a one-to-many or many-to-one movement of data.

A virus is a simple set of data that injects instructions into that process. It has no process of its own.

Depends on the virus, but it's usually going to be taking advantage of a vulnerability in existing software. It is likely to use a (more easily conceived and coded) passive means of being executed by the host program or process.

There are plenty of good arguments for calling certain viruses "software" in the context of self-contained programs, but as far as the original post goes none of them make a lot of sense, for the reasons I stated at the end of post #36.

Think of it this way. If a virus is "software", then so is this:

echo "Hello World";

So Sayo, if a virus is not software (even though software is anything that executes a set of instructions on a computer, which a virus is) and since malware (malicious software) is SOFTWARE, what is a virus?

A virus DOES NOT execute instructions. It is a set of instructions TO BE EXECUTED.

Jesus wept.

Locked in your "it's either software or hardware" prison with no understanding of data, information and processes, but you still keep coming back for more. Perhaps you think plain text is software too?

And those instructions cause things to happen. You're splitting hairs.

Before we go further' date=' can you give a link to support your claim?[/quote']

Of course there is a difference you nonce.

The process in the program is altered because the viral instructions are treated as input. That doesn't magically make the program executing the instructions "the same thing" as the instructions themselves.