most pointless computer software

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to have to disagree with you Sayonara. A virus is software. Software is just a set of instructions... ironically, the exact definition you gave to a virus. And that's it.

In terms of your statement that

Software takes input, performs tasks, and passes output to the user. It is a one-to-many or many-to-one movement of data.

that's simply not valid. Certain types of software do this, but the function of a piece of code doesn't determine whether it's software or not. That would be a great definition for useful software. The program posted earlier

int main(int argc, char** argv){ return 0; }

is a prime example. It's literally pointless... yet you can compile it down into assembler with a C/C++ compiler and run it. It's software. Technically it does something because it returns 0 but it doesn't do a useful something.

Trying to draw distinctions between whether there's a running process of its own or not isn't valid either because many interpreted languages don't spawn a new process for every set of instructions they run. You can call anything written in Java or C# a virus under that definition; there's a main process (a virtual machine) that kicks off and other code is "injected" into it to be interpreted. Now I'm not about to start a debate whether java's useful, good, pointless, or anything else... but you certainly must admit that it produces software.

Oh, and they're called "viruses" because they cause harm and tend to multiply silly. :D

So you're refusing to find a link to support your claim. Brilliant. Your idea now has lost even more credibility.

A google search for "virus is not software" with quotes placed in all different places' date=' returns no results that are about this topic.[/quote']

I've explained it using fundamentals that anyone with a clue about computing and information sciences would understand.

It's not my fault you can't tell the difference between a set of data and a process.

To illustrate the point: A .jpeg image is a set of data that must be interpreted by software, be it an imaging application or a browser, in order to pass output (in this case, recreate an image on another device). This is analagous to what your average virus does, so by your logic a jpeg file - which is only data, is "software".

Computer software (or simply software) refers to one or more computer programs and data held in the storage of a computer for some purpose. Program software performs the function of the program it implements, either by directly providing instructions to the computer hardware or by serving as input to another piece of software

There.

is a prime example. It's literally pointless... yet you can compile it down into assembler with a C/C++ compiler and run it. It's software. Technically it does something because it returns 0 but it doesn't do a useful[/i'] something.

I think you're getting confused. I did not say that software had to have a point.

To illustrate the point: A .jpeg image is a set of data that must be interpreted by software, be it an imaging application or a browser, in order to pass output (in this case, recreate an image on another device). This is analagous to what your average virus does, so by your logic a jpeg file - which is only[/u'] data, is "software".
A JPEG file does NOT put itself on the screen, the software does that. The software interprets the data and uses that to put an image onto the screen.

There.

Stop. Referring. To. Single. Source. Non. Technical. Documentation. And. Glibly. Assuming. It. Means. An. Entire. Field. Has. Bent. To. Your. Definition.

A JPEG file does NOT put itself on the screen, the software does that. The software interprets the data and uses that to put an image onto the screen.

I see you're catching on at last, seeing as that's exatcly what I just said.

oh, and I'm a "he" for future reference. Typing he/she is waaaaaaaaay too long! And I agree; that was not central to my argument at all. I was merely providing an example of "software" that doesn't fit the requirements of data manipulation provided by Sayonara, who seems to be drawing a distinction between software written in a high level vs a low level programming language.

Sorry dude, but I'm not confused. Answer this question for me... is a program written in java or c# software or not?

That depends on what has been written, doesn't it?

I wish you people would read what I say instead of arguing against what you think the gist of it all is, because I've already allowed considerable margins for this kind of question.

And I agree; that was not central to my argument at all. I was merely providing an example of "software" that doesn't fit the requirements of data manipulation provided by Sayonara, who seems to be drawing a distinction between software written in a high level vs a low level programming language.

That is not my aim, and I have not placed any specific requirements on the manipulation of data (as vague as that phrase is).

A virus is a PROGRAM that uses CODE to run a PROCESS (that may or may not be hidden in another process) that will cause BAD THINGS to HAPPEN' date=' while a JPEG will enable a DIFFERENT PIECE OF DATA/PROGRAM to put an IMAGE on the SCREEN.

I capitalized the vocabulary words for you.[/quote']

This post simply tells me that for whatever reason you have not been reading.

You need to go back about 10 posts or so to the one you edited. I was editing at the same time and you may have missed key points.

That depends on what has been written' date=' doesn't it?

[/quote']

No, it does not depend on what has been written... and I read every word of what you said. And, by the way, while you may consider yourself an expert in many fields computer science is my field of study. I'm all ears, but you have yet to convince me.

No, it does not depend on what has been written... and I read every word of what you said. And, by the way, while you may consider yourself an expert in many fields computer science is my field of study. I'm all ears, but you have yet to convince me.

In that case I'd love to hear what you think of the analogy I drew between viral instructions being picked up by a program, and an input file (such as image or text) being read by a viewer application.

Stop. Referring. To. Single. Source. Non. Technical. Documentation. And. Glibly. Assuming. It. Means. An. Entire. Field. Has. Bent. To. Your. Definition.
Computer instructions or data. Anything that can be stored electronically is software. The storage devices and display devices are hardware.
In simple terms' date=' a software program is a set of instructions for a computer.[/quote']
Software is a generic term for organized collections of computer data and instructions' date=' often broken into two major categories: system software that provides the basic non-task-specific functions of the computer, and application software which is used by users to accomplish specific tasks.[/quote']
The instructions executed by a computer' date=' as opposed to the physical device on which they run (the "hardware[/url']").
That any better?

That is not my aim, and I have not placed any specific requirements on the manipulation of data (as vague as that phrase is).

Software takes input' date=' performs tasks, and passes output to the user. It is a one-to-many or many-to-one movement of data.

...[/quote']

be consistent. I'm waiting to be convinced.

That any better?

Not really. "Simplest possible definition using friendly words" is not going to work here.

"Software is a generic term for organized collections of computer data and instructions, often broken into two major categories: system software that provides the basic non-task-specific functions of the computer, and application software which is used by users to accomplish specific tasks" actually doesn't support your case at all.

This discussion is going nowhere quickly.

Sayonara: define "software" and prove how a virus is not it. If you can not give a specific definition do not expect us to conform to it.

I tried to determine your definition of software from your previous posts but it seems to be somewhat vague at best. The best I could get from your words, as distinguishing factors, dealt with data manipulation and code written in a non-interpreted language. Tell me exactly what it is (not what most of it does) and we can get somewhere.

Look, don't you have ANY external links to substantiate your claim?

Currently those definitions of "software" I have all fit a virus.

Now, you are saying that anything that does not run by itself, but is interpreted to do something, is not software. So then you could say that Java programs are not software, since they need the Java Virtual Machine to run them. Therefore any java program is not software. Right?

This discussion is going nowhere quickly.

The reason it is getting nowhere quickly is that you are making the classical mistake of trying to have a new discussion outside the context of the original one. Were it not for the actual question being asked in the original post (or my interpretation of it, which is of course subjective), I'd most likely be taking the same hardline stance as yourself.

Sayonara: define "software" and prove how a virus is not it. If you can not give a specific definition do not expect us to conform to it.

I tried to determine your definition of software from your previous posts but it seems to be somewhat vague at best. The best I could get from your words, as distinguishing factors, dealt with data manipulation and code written in a non-interpreted language. Tell me exactly what it is (not what most of it does) and we can get somewhere.

I have already accounted for all of your questions in previous posts (I direct your attention in particular to post #43, and the last paragraph of post #36).

You have ignored the questions I asked you, so I don't see what right you have to make any demands of me under the pretext of forwarding the discussion.

My entire case is contingent on what was being asked in the first post, and it is not within my power to ensure that you understand that.

Look' date=' don't you have ANY external links to substantiate your claim?

Currently those definitions of "software" I have all fit a virus.[/quote']

If it was not one in the morning, I might bother to look for some. However as you may have noticed I am not convinced that you can win an argument about a technical issue by pasting links in some definitions pissing contest.

As a point of accuracy, a virus does NOT fit all of the definitions you dug up. Some of them don't even agree.

Now, you are saying that anything that does not run by itself, but is interpreted to do something, is not software. So then you could say that Java programs are not software, since they need the Java Virtual Machine to run them. Therefore any java program is not software. Right?

Well, this is the question, isn't it? Well done for spotting it.

If you're going to insist on looking for snippets on the web that look like they might agree with you, instead of actually applying knowledge of computing, I am just going to carry on this discussion with DoorNumber1, who has the distinct advantage of being able to speak from experience.

As fascinating as this discussion is chaps I'm now off to bed, so fire away.