Glial Cells and Intellect

I read recently that a study involving glial cells and there apparent role in intellect, more specifically in higher order functions from imagination to creating causal links between seemingly unrelated ideas. I think the basic premise was the higher the concentration of these cells in the cerebral cortex the more 'intelligent' the person was. As I have not studied psychology extensively the reason this discovery(if it turns out to be true) took so long to figure out astounds me. When I did study psychology in my first year at university I remember being told the role of these cells was to hold in place or 'glue' active neurons in the brain. But such a complex looking cells that interlinks neurons and 'hold' them along their axon(not connected to the synapses) must still have a mechanism of at least detecting the change in electrical potential as the neuron is 'fired' and if these glial cells are indeed interlinked among themselves, may form an as yet unknown/thought about sub-network(that has not yet been extensively studied) which may explain why we have so much difficulty in describing the processes by which consciousness arises.

The evidence for the study came from the sacreligious autopsy of Einsteins brain which was then compared with 'controls' who had died more recently. While I am aware of the abundant extraneous variables in the study, the very fact that these previously simplistic cells, may play an as yet not understood role in coordinating brain activity, is surely cause for concern/excitement. I might go and see if I can get me some glail cells implanted to help boost my brain functions some more :D

I might go and see if I can get me some glail cells implanted to help boost my brain functions some more :D

You don't have to. The good thing about glial cells is that you can always make more. If you want more glial cells just keep learning. Einstein may have had a genetic advantage when it came to producing more glial cells. But maybe he had more because he was always using his brain.

There are alot of studies going on right now to discover exactly what glial cells do. My guess is that they do more than what was previously suspected. Scientists have already completed experiments that indicate glial cells might have some role in mental processes besides just support. The April 2004 edition of Scientific American has some interesting articles about this. Check it out :)

• 2 weeks later...

The glial cell recycles many neurotransmitters and also helps connect synapses. They are still being studied but and is a place alot of people are going to to get the scope in labs. Since it is still untapped. Expect alot to come of it sooner than later. Also Glial cells are what caused Mylin and can actually Mylinate multiple cells. Anything coming from a Glial cell though is going to be more of a long term respnse though. Not really a alternate consciousness or level of thinking. Jump maybe quicker/ faster/ stronger, For now know that the brain is a use it or loose it type of organ. Studies of Einstein's brain crack me up :) He had a little bigger spacial cortex (M1/M2 someting like that) and a bigger math/logic map. This is more likely due to HIM BEING A PHYSIST. Pianist/Violinists have a more neurons for finger mapping in the sensory/motor cortex map. It is the same logic, start young enough that is what matters and helps but don't fret they still grow and adapt when older just slower.

• 9 months later...
Guest Looker

Hello !

I'm Looker and this is my first messagem in this science forum.

Does anyone know good (and free...) articles on the Web about glial cells ?

Hello !

I'm Looker and this is my first messagem in this science forum.

Does anyone know good (and free...) articles on the Web about glial cells ?

You... you mean you actually used the Search function and found this thread on glial cells and bumped it instead of creating a brand new one? You actually read the Forum policy and understood it, instead of just posting away indiscriminately? How... how... refreshing!

As a Moderator, I think I'm in love!

Welcome, welcome, welcome, Looker! http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/glialcells.html