zetatalk.com

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by fafalone

It would only effect the theories in it was a common natural state, not a state inducible only by vast improvments in particle accelerators to apply them.

I'm open to being proved wrong on this, but you'll have to show me some mathematical proof.

This is the negation of your original statement faf, you do realise that?

No, it's not. My original statement merely stated electrons could be split; I never said this occured naturally any any signficant frequence.

And something I think people are overlooking is this.

The radius of an electron is 2.8x10-15m

Therefore half an electron would have a radius of -30

Both of these are below a Planck length, where classical laws don't apply and quantum laws dominate, 1.6x10-35m

you said:

Electrons have mass and volume, therefore can be split.

implying that, purely because they have mass and volume, and for no other reason, they can be split. granted one could imagine half an electron, with half the mass and occupying half the volume, but it doens't have to exist.

Which leads me to wonder how exactly quantum mechanics theories would break down if an object larger than a Planck length could be broken into two objects still larger than a Planck length.

Only if both are integral; also, bear in mind that an electron has not been proven to have 'volume' as such.

Well if it has mass this mass is distrubted over a certain area, which is density.

The volume's infinite though.

And under current knowledge, it will be impossible to determine whether or not the electron has volume.

I'm still waiting for someone to mathematically illustrate how massive objects cannot have volume...

When proof is demanded, simply saying something is true is worthless without backing it up.

How can massive objects have indeterminant location?

And if mass is due to the higgs boson, who knows what the consequences are.

I'm still waiting for someone to mathematically illustrate how massive objects cannot have volume...

your conjecture seems to imply that all particles are infinitely divisible, which would more than likely result in a far larger range of particles than we have now, and quite possibly no indication of any particle being fundamental.