Question about Microsoft .Net framework 4.0

Hi everyone,

I have a question about Microsoft Net. framework 4.0.

I installed Microsoft Net. framework 4.0 on my computer from here and after the installation I see nothing: no program shortcut, no shortcut in windows explorer or anything else from which it's possible to run the program.

What could be the problem here? Does Microsoft .Net framework 4.0 require Visual Studio 2010 to run or how else can I open (aka run) this program?

Then why do they write that it's also used to develop applications if it's not an API?

On Microsoft's site it's written:

"The .NET Framework is Microsoft's platform for building applications that have visually stunning user experiences, seamless and secure communication, and the ability to model a range of business processes."

http://www.microsoft.com/net/overview.aspx

It is an API similar in nature to DirectX in that it is used as a tool to develop applications! .NET is an API that programmers use when programming applications in Managed Languages like C#. It gives them a lot of tools to do a great number of things from networking and process communications to tools in developing objects quickly and efficiently and with a safe reuseable structure that is recognized and supported by a community.

What you need is Visual Studio -- that's the actual development environment. If you're familiar with the Java world it's similar to the difference between Eclipse and the Java SDK -- you installed the latter, now you need the former.

The free versions can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/

You want the C# version for writing Windows programs. If you're making Web applications in ASP then you need the "Web Developer" version.

to put it another way:

The .NET framework is a runtime, much like the java runtime. to, "use" it you either "run" .NET applications, or create your own. to create your own you need to write your code in a .NET language like c# or vb.net.

to "write" your own, the VS express ed. are great, but you can also use the .NET SDK, and do it all by hand via comand line etc... if your feeling geeky.

• 2 years later...

Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0 ( or any other version) is a set of DLLs used by other software. when you build an application on Visual Studio you are using by default the .Net Framerwork. there for if you take this application to another PC it will require to install the same .Net Framework you built it with

PS: when installing visual studio the .net framework is installed with it automaticly