IP addresses/VPN networking (split from proxy thread)

that`s your routers IP, not your local IP, you`re both sharing the same gateway, so it will be the same :)

Name: 81-178-202-31.dsl.pipex.com

IP Address: 81.178.202.31

will the; net send command work if i use the router's ip and not an individual one? if i use that site for someone else, shouldnt it theoretically give me their actual ip, rather than the routers?

and yt, i cant find other sfn people's IPs, you can see it because you're a mod, i can't though

it`s nothing to do with being a MOD, as far I know ANYONE (Mod/Admin or not) can see anyone else IP :)

all you need do is go into the who`s online section of the forum, but then I`ve already told you all this in IRC!!!

I bothered to answer for the benefit of anyone else that may happen across question in the future.

well if i go into the 'who's online' section, i cant see anyones IP address

also, how come i cant find out yours [yt] /whois and /dns dont work for you, why not, what firewall are you using

will the; net send command work if i use the router's ip

Well, I'm not real sure, but if you go to each of your computers, you should have some ip that is something like 198.162.x.x Or something like that unless you specified a certain one.

To net send in your own local network, all you need to know is the computer's name. Open a windows explorer session (window key + E) and go to network neighborhood, or my network places, it varies depending on OS. Expand that, and go to "Computers Near Me" and it will list the 2 pcs in your network by name. I think you can right click and get the numbered IP, but the name works just as well.

Back at work now, forgot to post more info on the messenger service, I'll get it up sooner or later, heres some links to hold you over:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;168893&

http://www.fomine.com/net-send.html

/whois and /dns is fine, but WHERE are you trying it?

the /whois and /dns are all done in mIRC, where you're [yt's] IP is not accessable, why is this, is this connected? and if not, please answer anyway, what firewall do you use?

and there are certainly no IPs in the 'whos online' section of sfn

oh yeah, and what OS is net send intended for? or which will work on, does a firewall stop it, or intefere with it, other than possibly blocking the ports it uses. also, my ports are stealthed, part of NIS pro, so (a) can i still use net send with my ports blocked (b) pressumably i cant recive, as the ports needed would be stealthed?

edit: works for windows NT / 2000 / XP, sorry my mistake :eek:

does this only work for a LAN or can you use it over a WAN, such as the internet, e.g. me send you [yt or drz or anyone on sfn] a message. also how do i know if the messenger service is running in the background. i have msmsgs.exe running, but i think that that is windows messenger, so how do i enable messenger? i.e. the messenger which is needed for net send

woa, this is my 4th message in a row, oh well, this is topical, you can use the ping command in CMD or dos to find out the IP address of people or websites.

sfn ip = 67.18.105.36

yt2095.net ip = 69.10.136.210

although it is unlikely this is yt's IP as i dont think he personally hosts his own site. but i could be wrong

hey, one sec, if you type those IPs into a browser, it comes up with rubbish, but i thought that it would be the real IP for scienceforums.net . i used the 'ping' command in dos or CMD, whats going on?

YES!!!!!!!!

I DID IT!!!!!! I STOPPED THAT IDIOTIC IDIOT :mad::D !!!!!!!

THANKS A TON DRZ!!!!!

But now i am reading all these other posts and what is /whois and /dns supposed to mean, and how do you use it???

Sorry...im very ignorant about the internet, but id like to learn...

Encrypted

they're codes for mIRC or the sfn chatroom type the command and then the name of the person, /whois tells you about the person. i.e. what they're using to chat on their IP address and when they last posted a message on the chatroom, i think /dns is only for displaying their IP.

however some people, namely yt2095's IP address does not appear, which is the reasoning for post #43

please read post #43, #44 & #45

um, every time i type net send IP message i get an error - "the message alias could not be found on the network. more help is available.... la da da, its useless. why?

please read post #43, #44 & #45

the /whois and /dns are all done in mIRC' date=' where you're [yt's'] IP is not accessable, why is this, is this connected? and if not, please answer anyway, what firewall do you use?

and there are certainly no IPs in the 'whos online' section of sfn

First question, many people set up their IRC client so that other users cannot see their IP. Obviously you can't hide it completely or you would not be able to interact with the IRC server.

Second question, YT was wrong. Only mods and admins can see those details.

As for #44 and #45, I'd prefer not to sit teaching you to use twenty year old network tools - it's gone one in the morning here.

I suggest you learn about network structure and DNS, it will answer all of your questions.

First question, many people set up their IRC client so that other users cannot see their IP. Obviously you can't hide it completely or you would not be able to interact with the IRC server.

Just as a sidenote: to do this on our network, use /mode <yournickhere> +x: most of the time, you shouldn't need to bother though, since when you connect, this mode is automatically set.

How do you configure it like that? I want to do that!

(I'm using chatzilla)

Read the post above. It's a client mode, if you unset it, everyone can see your IP. Not all servers support it: indeed, those crazy RFC1459 server people don't have it, as well as a bunch of others. The servers we're on support it, however.