advanced quantum physics

theoriginal169

"Getting a life" is what comes to my mind, although that probably sounds a bit offensive (it's not; in reality I envy people who have the patience to work through a physics textbook for their patience).

But seriously: How is the average sfn forum participant supposed to know that? It strongly depends on who you are, what you are doing and where you want to go. If you are a physics student then the obvious next step seems to be "take the exam". If you are a pupil who is interested in physics and reads books that are way more advanced than the school stuff -and interested in physics- then I'd suggest looking if the local university accepts pupils in a few lectures (oh, and for giving hints on that it would help to know where you are from - not everyone here is from Spain, after all). If you are a retired engineer interested in modern physics then perhaps you should state what, after working through Giffith, sems to sound the most interesting to you to investigate next.

Or check the syllabus of the graduate QM courses at universities. I used the Cohen-Tannoudji textbook, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it for reading with support from a lecture series (i.e. outside of class)

i am physics student but at 1 am 2nd grade but i want to learn QM faster so i finished that book . and what next? qm has a lot of sub subjects and i don't how i choose the path ill go.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Quantum-Mechanics-Revised-Sakurai/dp/0201539292 in my school at advanced qm lectures this book is used. i am good at math(calculus diff linear algebra) and i now basics of qm so can i handle ha book.

In that case ideas that come to my mind spontaneously are (in that order):

(1) Consider doing something else than physics in your free time, e.g. some sports activity. You should already do physics quite a lot. Many people consider it a good idea doing something entirely different to balance their live (and maybe even have social contact with normal people).

(2) Actually take university courses beyond the level proposed for 2nd semester. While it might be interesting for you to read books beyond what you are currently taught it is of pretty little help for you if you have to take courses in that subject (in this case QM) later on in any case and get bored, then. I think it's better to actually take the course and pass the exam and finish your course early and get to the more specialized and more important topics sooner. Maybe talk to the lecturers if attending higher-semester courses is problematic in your university. I don't expect anyone to have a problem with an interested lower semester attending their lecture.

(3) Reading the books that are proposed for future classes seems a better idea than reading random books.

(4) I would not advice to read several books on the same topic but rather browse through different fields to get an overview and see what interests you.

(5) If you really want to read another QM book then I'd go to the library, have a look at a few of the books and chose the one which is readable (of course) and contains the most topics naturally extending what you already learned. I know neither Griffith nor Sakkurai but I would expect that books called "Introduction to QM" and "Modern QM" contain pretty much the same content so reading Sakkurai might become a bit boring (though I might be wrong considering the books seem to be used for different courses - see (3) ).

(5) If you really want to read another QM book then I'd go to the library, have a look at a few of the books and chose the one which is readable (of course) and contains the most topics naturally extending what you already learned. I know neither Griffith nor Sakkurai but I would expect that books called "Introduction to QM" and "Modern QM" contain pretty much the same content so reading Sakkurai might become a bit boring (though I might be wrong considering the books seem to be used for different courses - see (3) ).

at library there are a lot of books i got lost at there.

Or check the syllabus of the graduate QM courses at universities. I used the Cohen-Tannoudji textbook, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it for reading with support from a lecture series (i.e. outside of class)

i got that book vol2. i can understand it. and it has detailed proofs which i didn't saw at my previous book . so thank you good advice.

but its a little old so i dont know is it a problem or not?

If you have understood all of Griffiths you should move onto Quantum Field Theory. You could try reading Bjorken and Drell, reading their QM book first to break you in, and then going onto their QFT book.

Alternatively read Weinberg.

If you have understood all of Griffiths you should move onto Quantum Field Theory. You could try reading Bjorken and Drell, reading their QM book first to break you in, and then going onto their QFT book.

Alternatively read Weinberg.

ill check them thank you. Does their book have challenging exercises?

• 2 months later...

i have finished reading introduction to quantum mechanics by David griffiths

and solved all of the problems so what book do you suggest to me next ?

You will only read books that other people have written and solve problems that have allready been solved, try having an original thought , or join the rest of the physics students that achive absolutly nothing.