"Magnetism"

rigney

Yep! I've used the the dirty word "Magnetism" and will probably pay the price for doing so. Having put that on the front burner, let me commence to begin to start! To me, magnetism is the only true and intrensic force in our entire universe. Can it be proven? Absolutely not! If it had been, or could be; there would be no reason for making this assumption. I'm not trying to step on the toes of Physcists, Astronomers or Accredited Theorist. How could I when all I have to offer is a gut feeling and a thought. Magnetism in one form or another is the backbone of our world. But to my way of thinking, today there would be no existance of anything, without magnetism. Man himself, along with every field of endeavor you can think of would be only a dream. To make this small thought even more provocative, magnetism is the imbued and intrinsic force in every iota of matter known to man, other than possibly the photon?

Magnetism, either by natural cause or thru EMF; is the blanket we pull up at night around us, or the A.C we crank up, when the weather is 90 degs. outside, or the refrigerator keeping our beer cold. I would like to keep this thread open if possible and welcome any and all conjecture, if it's not overly formulated. Simply put, I can read readin', but I can't read writin'.

Summation: A serious fool is only an idiot in drag, unless he has a following? In such case, it should be considered a field of fools!

Edited by rigney

Yep! I've used the the dirty word "Magnetism" and will probably pay the price for doing so. Having put that on the front burner, let me commence to begin to start! To me, magnetism is the only true and intrensic force in our entire universe. Can it be proven? Absolutely not! If it had been, or could be; there would be no reason for making this assumption. I'm not trying to step on the toes of Physcists, Astronomers or Accredited Theorist. How could I when all I have to offer is a gut feeling and a thought. Magnetism in one form or another is the backbone of our world. But to my way of thinking, today there would be no existance of anything, without magnetism. Man himself, along with every field of endeavor you can think of would be only a dream. To make this small thought even more provocative, magnetism is the imbued and intrinsic force in every iota of matter known to man, other than possibly the photon?

Magnetism, either by natural cause or thru EMF; is the blanket we pull up at night around us, or the A.C we crank up, when the weather is 90 degs. outside, or the refrigerator keeping our beer cold. I would like to keep this thread open if possible and welcome any and all conjecture, if it's not overly formulated. Simply put, I can read readin', but I can't read writin'.

Summation: A serious fool is only an idiot in drag, unless he has a following? In such case, it should be considered a field of fools!

If there is only one force, then how do you explain the Coulomb barrier?

coulombB-color.gif

Once a nucleon passes the Coulomb barrier, the weak nuclear force is strong enough to extremely overpower the EM force and cause the nucleon in question to become bound to the nucleus. It's a matter of a long range repulsive force verses a short range attractive force. The closer the nucleon gets to the nucleus, the stronger the repulsion.....until it passes into the range of the weak nuclear force and is almost immediately bound.

What's your explanation?

Hopefully not getting into a debate with someone out of my league, but isn't it true that magnetism is ingrained in all matter, regardless of its level, other than the photon? I have no idea how this is true except that brilliant scientist' have made this analagy.

Yep! I've used the the dirty word "Magnetism" and will probably pay the price for doing so.
Yeah, sorry, what? Magnetism is a thing that well, gets discussed in detail all the time. It's kind of complicated on some levels and really important on many. There aren't many dirty words in physics for that matter.

all I have to offer is a gut feeling and a thought.
Then you need some predictions, some data, some comparison with existing theory and eventually some sort of hypothesis.

Magnetism in one form or another is the backbone of our world.
Well, one of four backbones by standard theory - but okay.

Hopefully not getting into a debate with someone out of my league,
Out of your league doesn't begin to cover it. But that's a good thing, you can only learn so much without the help of people a lot more experienced than you.

but isn't it true that magnetism is ingrained in all matter, regardless of its level, other than the photon?
Not really amongst any elementary particles.

Tree, as I expressed in my post, I'm not trying to prove a point or belittle anything that is substantive; but merely making an observation. The beauty of a computer is that you don't need to have a Doctorate to question science. Actually, without questioning, there would be no science. The excerpt below is perhaps something you may have read.

I have no way of authenticating its validity, I only read and think! This preamble is only a short bit of information which could take hours for an ameture like me to even try digesting.

(Classes of Magnetic Materials)

The origin of magnetism lies in the orbital and spin motions of electrons and how the electrons interact with one another. The best way to introduce the different types of magnetism is to describe how materials respond to magnetic fields. This may be surprising to some, but all matter is magnetic. It's just that some materials are much more magnetic than others. The main distinction is that in some materials there is no collective interaction of atomic magnetic moments, whereas in other materials there is a very strong interaction between atomic moments.

The beauty of a computer is that you don't need to have a Doctorate to question science. Actually, without questioning, there would be no science.

Unfortunately it also lets you leapfrog the basics. You may question science, but you may not get an answer you can understand.

——

Protons, neutrons and electrons have magnetic moments. The neutron and proton are comprised of quarks which have charge and spin, and the electron similarly has charge and spin. So matter made of these will have magnetic properties.

Please, when using quotations and extracts like that, give credit. Usually just as a [source] or similar.

All materials are magnetic - that is certainly true. That particular article is using material interchangeably with matter which is acceptable but you should understand that it's not talking about matter on every 'level'.

I apologise for not remembering where I obtained the info, but it's on google. Like I say, all of you guys are head and shoulder above my understanding of physics. But why would anyone suggest this characteristic in matter would not go to the core of its creation? In essence, we have strong forces, weak forces, magnetism and what we beneovently call gravity, which no one seems to be able to explain. I can at least partially understand my thoughts on magnetism and the inbalance of strong and weak forces. Gravity? Would you please give me something other than a: (you don't know) when explaining my thoughts on magnetism? I'm not ungrateful, merely at a loss?

Edited by rigney

But why would anyone suggest this characteristic in matter would not go to the core of its creation? In essence, we have strong forces, weak forces, magnetism and what we beneovently call gravity, which no one seems to be able to explain. I can at least partially understand my thoughts on magnetism and the inbalance of strong and weak forces.?
You're stumbling around in circles here. You're acknowledging the existence of the other three fundamental forces, then claiming that magnetism is the underlying characteristic of everything?

To be clear, the four fundamental forces behave in entirely different ways.

That doesn't mean they don't have a "common cause" or something like that, but you'd have to explain how one factor could be manifested in four different ways.

Tree, I would be happy to stumble in circles, but mine is more or less an endless zig zag pattern. There is so much information out there to choose from, it actuall scare me. And with such subtle conjecture built into it, there is little to makes me want to change my mind. Many people making these claims are genuine professional folks with degrees I can't even spell. Instead of writing a narrative explaining my (rather nots), just go to google and type in: "Is the human body held together by magnetism or gravity"?

Just wishing I was sharp enough to debate the issue with you without getting squashed!!

It's electromagnetism, and the classical description is quite adequately given by Maxwell's equations; if you have an electric field, it will look like you also have a magnetic field if you transform into a different reference frame.