scientific publishing

noz92

Someone hopefully other than your friends and or colleagues who can review your work to make sure that it's done right, is pure of bias, is on topic, etc. and preferably someone who's in the same or very similar field, so that they'll actually understand what you are trying to do there, etc.

By the way, who ever is reviewing your work does not get paid for it.

I'm working on my first one. Thus far, it's been extremely difficult. Basically, it's like everyone here has said: You write the paper, submit it to the journal for review, make the corrections and answer the concerns the reviewers had, then re-submit. Although that makes it sound much easier then it actually is.

I'm working on my first one. Thus far, it's been extremely difficult. Basically, it's like everyone here has said: You write the paper, submit it to the journal for review, make the corrections and answer the concerns the reviewers had, then re-submit. Although that makes it sound much easier then it actually is.

Yeah, you missed the part about it getting rejected cos you're not american. :P

In nature site while submiting should we pay? Where in the site should we publish? :-(

If you're asking about how to publish in nature; I apologize for being blunt, but you'll never get in. Nature is the top science journal around (along with "Science"). Unless you've done something to merit the noble prize, try a lower tier journal (Go for one specific for your area of interest).

hey now, thats not all true...if your a respectable scientists with an excellent theory, or otherwise, something worthy of the publics' attention, there's a chance that you may get in Nature...hell they did a thing about homeopathy before they knew that it was luck (not to say that homeopathy is fake, but in that case it was just unfortunate)...

But lets say that I find the cure for MS...or have advanced my studies in auto-immune diseases...how do I go about getting the news out?

hey now' date=' thats not all true...if your a respectable scientists with an excellent theory, or otherwise, something worthy of the publics' attention, there's a chance that you may get in Nature...hell they did a thing about homeopathy before they knew that it was luck (not to say that homeopathy is fake, but in that case it was just unfortunate)...

But lets say that I find the cure for MS...or have advanced my studies in auto-immune diseases...how do I go about getting the news out?[/quote']

I agree, but IMO the chances are fairly slim. There are probably tens of thousands of submissions to science and Nature. Obviously, someone has to get in. However, most of the experiments are highly significant, extremely novel, and carried out in reputable labs. IMO an accepted submission to science or nature is career changing. They're just so competitive.

I think that if you found a cure for MS or something it would definetly be worthy of publication in science or nature. However you'd probably do it in a series of experiements published in lesser known journals, then tie it all up into one large paper for publication in science or nature. Then you'd accept your nobel prize and live happily ever after.

Sanjay, there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of journals. It would be easier to locate a journal based on topic. Look at the current literature pertaining to the subject your interested in. What journals are the recent publications coming out of?

Sanjay, there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of journals. It would be easier to locate a journal based on topic. Look at the current literature pertaining to the subject your interested in. What journals are the recent publications coming out of?

There are thousands of journals in a single country, let alone in other countries.

I got some good linkys at work you might want to look though, but that'll have to wait 'till wednesday.