New big bang idea

Duke

So what would happen if a big bang was created in my fingernail right now? Would everyone on the planet and in this galaxy be destroyed as the new universe expands? Or does it keep on expanding, but we can still live because I hold the entire new universe on my fingernail?

Secondly, where would the energy come from? Dark energy?

well to coin an old 1960`s song "We are stardust" anyway.

and if it did happen, we`de certainly not know about it (for a good many reasons).

it`s at least encouraging to know that I`ll win the lottery jackpot several billion times before it happens though :)

• 3 weeks later...

the problem with all of theories is that there are two many of them, and as theories, no one knows if they are true.

if you think of something.... proove it is possible, you've just created a theory, its too easy almost... there are new theories all the time, the fact is that the original 3 about the universe are still the most liked and likely, they are:

1) we keep expanding forever,

2) we reach a limit and stop forever &

3) the big crunch, we come back into where we started.

This is interesting, but it sounds like one of those theories that you can't really prove, or do much with. Would it expand into our universe? Would it even affect our universe? I dont think we really have enough information to answer important questions at the moment. So its just one of those big cosmological "might"s.

sweet, but it said nothing about HOW the hell this could happen.

Whatever the fate of the universe, there must be some way that it continues the cycle of birthing another universe. To say there was ever a beginning, or that there will ever be an end, is to say that something came from nothing. Which it did not.

Good point. When this new universe forms does it destroy the old one, or are they able to coexist somehow?

It wouldn't come in contact with the old universe, and therefore have no chance to destroy it. To come into contact they would need to be in the same bubble of space-time. Universes are just bubbles of space-time separated by quamtom foam. If there were 2 universes in a single bubble of space-time, both would cease to bo universes, and form a multi-verse.

Then again, there is no proof that there is only one universe, but then, what contains the multiple universes and/or multi-verses?