copper chloride problem

jordehwa

I made some copper chloride out of pure copper wire and HCL and H2O2.

the solution dissolved all the copper and turned dark green, so then i wanted to get rid of all the hcl that was left so i boild it till it was dry then i rehydrated it with water so i could do recrystalization to get a cleaner product.

But when it evaporated there were no crystals just a real dark green thick syrupy liquid, did i do something wrong?

Thanks.

I'd not use an oven for a couple of reasons- if the stuff gets hot it will spit, and CuCl2 is rather corrosive (as well as a bit toxic)

Also, the reaction CuCl2 + H2O --> Cu(OH)Cl +H2O will tend to take place if you heat the stuff. You lose some of your product that way and what's left is less pure.

The Cu(OH)Cl is a representation of a so called basic salt.

ok thanks:-)

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

i also have a question about iron II chloride. I have a rusty iron rail road spike so i put in some hydrochloric acid and the solution is a yellow color can i evaporate this on a hotplate outside to get anhydrous ironII chloride?

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

by the way i already heated some in a hotplate and the dry powder is dark redish brown.

Edited by jordehwa
Consecutive posts merged.

I wonder if the dessication method would work with the OP's green goo?

What if the syrupy CuCl2 in a becher was sealed-up in a ziploc bag with a becher of anhydrous Sodium Hydroxide, or even better, a couple of those small "dessicant" bags found in electronic gear boxes? Or is the CuCl2 much more hygroscopic and it would do the reverse process?

- Robert

I'd use CaCl2 to see if it worked as a desiccant. NaOH would probably increase the loss of HCl.

The little bags are generally full of silica gel, but the gel is usually pretty near saturated with water by the time you actually buy the stuff unless the packaging was unusually well sealed.

@ John Cuthber:

When you mentioned CaCl2, I remember a long time ago that I use some of these inexpensive "Damp Trap" boxes in my basement a few years ago. The only ingredient in there is anhydrous Calcium chloride sealed in a plastix box. Once you open the seal, it does a pretty good job at removing moisture.

I went to the dollar store and grabbed a few of those boxes to experiment with. Below is a "damp-trap" sealed in a ziploc bag with a few ml of Zinc Chloride solution...

damptrap.jpg

i'll let 'em fight it out for a few days and we'll see who wins! And I guess that I can also recycle the CaCl2 when it's wet by heating it up a bit. I'll keep you posted if it works. I'll aslo try it on my solution of CuSO4 to see how fast it works.

Robert

Robert

Thanks thats cool

Don't they also sell CaCl2 hydrate in them big bags of salt for deicing your driveway, if so you could just heat it to anhydrous and then use that as a dessicator , that way you get a Whole bunch for cheap. Right?