Traveling to England

coquina

I've never been overseas before. My mother's family is from England and I'm going to a wedding. (Suffolk, near Woodbridge, if anyone knows the area). I'm leaving from Dulles and arriving at Heathrow, and will be gone from the last week in September thru the first week of October. I've checked Expedia, Travelocity and Yahoo - I can get a Continental flight round trip for $426, British Airways has one for about $550. I have heard BA has better service, which has some importance to me, since I will be flying alone.

I applied for my passport a couple of weeks ago - I should have it in plenty of time. The tickets are non-refundable, should I wait for my passport before I buy them?

What about travel insurance - should I buy it? I'll be staying with family, so I don't have to worry about booking a hotel or renting a car.

This is a big first for me. My husband died two years ago, and this will be the first time I have traveled or flown alone. Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

You are travelling East, so the impact of jetlag is likely to be greater. Try to begin to live to UK time a couple of days before you leave. That will help the adjustment greatly.

Buying tickets: The later you leave buying your tickets, the more expensive they are likely to be. If you are reasonably confident in your passport system, buy your tickets as early as possible.

Travel insurance: It's entirely up to you. If you do, buy only what you need (covering loss of luggage and stuff). Don't be bullied into buying what you don't need. It always seemed weird to me that airline companies advertise flying as the safest form of transport, and then insist on selling everybody insurance. I would insure your luggage though, if you are carrying anything of value.

Other than that, relax, have fun and enjoy the wedding.

I applied for my passport a couple of weeks ago - I should have it in plenty of time. The tickets are non-refundable' date=' should I wait for my passport before I buy them?

[/quote']

Good luck with that. Since everything was changed around eg: from INS to Homeland Security, I hear that now people wait anywhere between 3-6 months. Probably even longer if one's an alien.

I had to wait a month and a half for my passport, and that was with INS back in the 98 or something.

I have a friend who took Northwest to London and hated the flight. They flew British Airways back because of plane problems with Northwest and said BA was the best flight experience they'd ever had. Roomy seats and the best service ever. I'd pony up the extra $ 'cause that's a loooong flight.

Is there any way you can check to see when your passport will be ready? Admiral brings up a good point about Homeland Security. Don't fret about it, leave your nail clippers at home and try not to look too terroristy.