Standardized testing

ydoaPs

Is there a reason for standardized tests?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is there a reason for standardized tests?

• Yes
    • No
    • IDK

there are these things called grades

Grades only say "He knows a bunch of his work." They don't tell you if he actually comprehends it, remembers it still, and WHAT parts he knows. Plus, if they're standardized, you can compare it to all of the US without saying "That's because Mr. So-and-so gives easy exams!"

there are these things called grades

Grades? so just because a teacher awards you a good grade that means you have achieved more then someone who has lower grades? Every teacher is different, and they all teach differently, which is exactly the reason we have standardized tests.

govermental compulsary tests in my oppinion in the schools i have attended usually just tell the school how good it is and gives it a bit of free publicity, more pupils more funds. also shows what level of learning you are at and what sets you will be in next year or term, the gov compulsary ones ive taken so far are:

SAT's (maths english science) 6-7 years old

SAT's (maths english science) 13-14 years old

but since highschool ive taken maths eng sci tests every year and every half tern, and testing on every minor subject also. but thats school specific. i dont think its like america with if you fail in anything you get kept behind or go to summer school - stereotypically that is ;).

Standardized test scores are currently the best way to measure the ability of an individual to do well in college. I know its not the best. I think that overall what the schools do might be the best way.

The only Amrican science and maths question papers I have ever layed my eyes on were those of the SAT I and SAT II that people give to get into college.

Frankly, they were pathetically simple. Way below the standard i'd expect any decent paper to be.

thats because it doesn't take an extraordinary effort to get into college. The test has to be simple enough to give the normal morons a chance to get into college. From what I remember the test is set up so theres a large continum of scores. So yes, they may be easy, but it's difficult to get them perfect...

because it doesn't take an extraordinary effort to get into college

Completely untrue in India !! Can happen only in the US.

So yes, they may be easy, but it's difficult to get them perfect...

I would definately agree with you there. In SAT-1 i don't think anything below 1550 should be acceptable and in SAT-2 anything below 2050. (Assuming they are evaluated out of 1600 and 2100 respectively). Scoring in the English paper is somehow tougher, thats where most people I knew ever lost their marks, gettin perfect scores in the rest.

Completely untrue in India !! Can happen only in the US.

I would definately agree with you there. In SAT-1 i don't think anything below 1550 should be acceptable and in SAT-2 anything below 2050. (Assuming they are evaluated out of 1600 and 2100 respectively). Scoring in the English paper is somehow tougher' date=' thats where most people I knew ever lost their marks, gettin perfect scores in the rest.[/quote']

I won't start bashing or flaming, but the U.S. educational system is one of the best in the world! and 1550 on SAT I? thats an incredible score over 99th percentile probably...