For those who like potato guns

InigoMontoya

Inigo , Vera is classed as a gun . But if she didn't propel anything other than her post combustion products with a nice big flame , she would look , to me , like her principle of operation could be described as being a jet engine .

Inigo , Vera is classed as a gun . But if she didn't propel anything other than her post combustion products with a nice big flame , she would look , to me , like her principle of operation could be described as being a jet engine .

I suppose. But you could say the same thing anytime you see a "21 Gun Salute".... Or are you saying those should be called "21 Jet Engine Salute"?

And the video came back from Public Affairs today! I didn't expect it for another month but I'm not gonna complain....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQansa0_jf0

Edited by InigoMontoya

Inigo, I almost asked this last year. With both chambers igniting at the same time, both compression fronts would meeting at the T joint. What amount of shock/overpressure did you expect to see there, and what was actually measured? If the gun ruptures, I could see it rupturing at the T joint. A Y joint seems safer.

Inigo, I almost asked this last year. With both chambers igniting at the same time, both compression fronts would meeting at the T joint.

Only issue with that thought is that there are 10 different, roughly hemispherical flame fronts which in turn correspond to 10 different compression fronts. Further, due to the geometry, any given flame front does as much traveling laterally in the chamber as it does longitudinally. Result: There really isn't any one point/area where a big flame/compression front is going to meet in the manner you imply.

What amount of shock/overpressure did you expect to see there, and what was actually measured? If the gun ruptures, I could see it rupturing at the T joint.

Expected to see somewhere between 200 and 220 psi. Measured 218 but that number is slightly suspect due to harmonics of the strain-gauge-based pressure gauge (will be doing some more testing). It's believed that the real number is closer to 200. In either case, I'm happy.