Fed up with entertainment "trailers"

Phi for All

I'm feeling so clubbed over the head these days by previews and trailers for TV programs and movies. I hate that they show some of the best scenes. It alwasy pulls me out of the experience when I'm watching a movie and a scene comes up that's already been splashed across the TV a thousand times. I try to stay away from commercials but it's not easy.

The best movie and TV watching experiences, IMO, are the ones you go into with no preconceptions. A friend handed me the first season of Keifer Sutherland's "24" on DVD (6 discs, 24 episodes, 42 minutes per episode, no commercials!), and told me I have to watch it. The only thing I knew about the series was that it was set up in real time, the entire season taking place in one 24-hour period.

I was blown away! What a wonderful experience with no prejudices or expectations. My wife and I devoured those discs, watching 2 or 3 episodes an evening.

I feel like entertainment advertising treats us like we won't watch unless we know half the story beforehand. Any thoughts?

I don't know if you're a gamer or not, but I guess this would be the other side of the pendulum.

Take the gaming commercials/previews, for example Final Fantasy. When you watch it's preview, the game looks simply Amazing in all respects of it. When you play it however, you'll very quickly realize that the whole trailer and of course all of your expectations and reasons for buying the game was based Not on the game(play) itself, but rather it's cutscences.

When it comes to Movies, I love the previews, and since I usually do not watch tv(for the lack of time) I dig previews. However when it comes to other shows on tv, I simply don't watch them. Well, OZ was an exception.

I know what you mean with 24, since the same thing happened to me. I was rather disappointed with the second and third series though, mainly because of all the hype and the trailers that went with them. The trouble is, unless they show some of these scenes, people just aren't going to watch the stuff.

Games trailers are the worst ever. I hate Sky One for putting a bloody game sponsorship advert on at the beginning and end of the commercial breaks in-between Voyager (or any other Star Trek) episode.

I was rather disappointed with the second and third series though, mainly because of all the hype and the trailers that went with them.
I saw the 2nd season on DVD as well. I can't imagine how it would be to wait a week between episodes and endure the commercials between scenes. Bleh!
The trouble is' date=' unless they show some of these scenes, people just aren't going to watch the stuff.[/quote']I must be the exception to the rule. I see a series that I like and I tape it every week. If I see the spoiler for a movie that looks good, I try not to watch any more about it and make arrangements to go see it. I love to be pulled in by a good story, masterful direction and first-rate acting. Reality pops back when I see a scene I recognize from a spoiler, and then it takes me time to get back into the flick.