Good introductory books for Quantum Mechanics?

Chippsz

I quite like Schwabl's Quantum Mechanics. It covers a lot of important ground.

I didn't expect that the books are translated to English. I also did like the books (can't remember why, though) and they also did have a very good reputation for preparing for final exams amongst my fellow students. But looking at it I don't know if it possibly introduces too many concepts and terms too fast for a complete beginner.

Considering I feel like seeing a lot of book recommendation threads I wonder if it made sense to compile an sfn-recommendation list (of serious textbooks) with a short comment about the books and put it as a sticky. But then, people could as well browse the user reviews on Amazon.

But looking at it I don't know if it possibly introduces too many concepts and terms too fast for a complete beginner.

This to would be my worry for a complete beginner. Once you have some understanding of quantum mechanics it is a great book.

It is good to differentiate from Introductory and Undergraduate texts. If you have never studied QM before an intoductory book would be a good read before an Undergraduate textbook.

Introductory Text

Eisberg, Robert; Resnick, Robert (1985). Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei, and Particles (2nd ed.). Wiley. ISBN 0-471-87373-X.

Bohm, David (1989). Quantum Theory. Dover Publications. ISBN 0-486-65969-0.

Undergraduate Texts

Used by most major universities

Griffiths, David J. (2004). Introduction to Quantum Mechanics (2nd ed.). Prentice Hall. ISBN 0-13-805326-X.

Liboff, Richard L. (2004). Introductory Quantum Mechanics. Addison-Wesley. ISBN 978-0805387148. The spiderman book

Shankar, R. (1994). Principles of Quantum Mechanics. Springer. ISBN 0-306-44790-8.

Advanced texts.

Gasiorowicz (2003). Quantum Physics, 3rd Edition. Wiley. ISBN 978-0-471-05700-0. More advanced. Used by Princeton, MIT, Berkeley, Harvard, Columbia, UCLA, Illinois, Chicago, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Washington, Colorado, UCSD, and UCSB among others.

Even more advanced.

Cohen Tannoudji. Quantum Mechanics (2 vol. set) by Claude Cohen-Tannoudji, Bernard Diu, and Frank Laloe (Paperback - Oct 6, 2006).

ISBN 0471569526. Used by Stanford University.