I'm confused...is coffee consumption linked to pancreatic cancer?

bbrubaker

Can anyone help shed some light on this? Is it settled already?

I can't take a sip of coffee without envisioning pancreatic cancer which, I am reading, is a quick and merciless sentence in most cases.

Is it worth the risk? I'm confused and seeking your scientific opinions.

:)

A few links:

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/NWS_1_1x_Pancreatic_Cancer_Is_Not_Linked_With_Drinking_Coffee_or_Alcohol.asp

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/03/12/us/study-links-coffee-use-to-pancreas-cancer.html

Thanks.

This is one of the joys of epidemiological research. In the absence of mechnisms they basically find correlations but not causation (despite the fact that some claim they do). The majority of the research I am aware of found no link. In order to evaluate that in more detail one would have to look at the papers in very close detail, at least in order to see e.g. the methodological differences between the study, the composition of the study population, etc.

It is important to keep in mind that the goal of epi-studies is not to provide causation but to provide possible links that can then be investigated in detail.

Slightly related (the dangers of coffee) - I "heard" that you should let a kettle come off of the boil for a minute before pouring, rather than pour scoulding hot water onto your instant coffe. Apparently it causes some chemicals to be released (which arn't if you pour just off the boil) which are assosiated with alzheimers.

Hold on!! Now I'm really confused as well - I've just typed coffee and alzheimers into google and it suggests that coffee drinking can help keep off alzheimers! I'll have to search deeper later when I've got a bit more time to spare - I'm sure I heard that if the water is too hot it can cause the coffee to scold and give off traces of benzine or something like that - giving rise to alzheimers in long term coffe scolders. Anyone heard anything like this at all??