Folding@Home???

Guest ViperX883

Guest ViperX883

Hey guys, I saw a thread dedicated to Seti@Home, but I ran some searches and found nothing on Folding@Home (aside from a few posts in that mammoth SETI thread). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone was interested in this program. It's a distributed computing program run by Stanford Univeristy just like SETI. Basically, you run protein folding simulations for them and teh results are used for medicinal research in order to find cures for related diseases like cancer and Parkninson's. With all these members, you guys would make one crazy folding team!!! There are also a lot of other team that would love to have you along if you wanted to join. If you're interested, click the link in my sig for more info.

Guest ViperX883

Heh, maybe I should have titled the thread something like "Help Cure Cancer". More people probably would have checked the thread that way.

NP, I only looked at it to see where he was from.

Heh, maybe I should have titled the thread something like "Help Cure Cancer". More people probably would have checked the thread that way.

Maybe, but you didn't leave it open for much discussion anyhow. It's more of a 'hey, read this' type of thread. :P

Guest ViperX883
NP' date=' I only looked at it to see where he was from.

Maybe, but you didn't leave it open for much discussion anyhow. It's more of a 'hey, read this' type of thread. :P[/quote']

Yeah, you're rigth about that, but I think more people would have read it that way. Anyway, my hope is to keep this thread alive long enough for everyone to see it. I mean, hey, if it's 7 pages long, who isn't gonna want to know what is so cool that a 7 page thread could be made about it, eh? ;)

BTW, those of you that are joining up, are you joining up on the team in the FAQ or joining anonymously, or something else??? I'm just curious...

Guest ViperX883

I have never had an issue with it. Some people have said that the graphical version has a few bugs though. Try the console version - it's easy to setup also, but will require a little more finesse to run at startup. Basically, download the console client and stick it in a folder. Then create a shortcut to it on the desktop. Then place that shortcut into your Startup folder in the All Programs menu. Then it will autostart every time you boot. There are alos ways to minimze teh console version to the system tray so it won't take up valuable resources. Do a quick check of the FAQ in my sig, and check the links at the bottom. If you guys have questions, let me know. Keep folding!

Guest ViperX883

Lol, this is a science forum... I know you know the answer to this one. Let's assume we find aliens... chances are that they are at least 35 light years away since we have been broadcasting radio signals for about 70 years now and haven't yet received anything back. Since nothing can travel fatser than light, odds are that even if we do contact aliens it will require at least another 70 years for us to send a new message and get a reply!!! 70 years!!! I don't know about you, but I'm betting we can get some pretty advanced cancer treatments/cures within the next 70 years. Besides, how do we know aliens woudl be friendly???

It's really not easier to run anyway... all you have to do is download teh graphical F@H and install it and let it run. 95% of the time there are nor problems.

Guest ViperX883

Good to hear NSX!!! Always great to see people involved in distributed computing projects. Hopefully some more notice will be taken people over time. Keep it up!!!

Guest ViperX883

Dood to hear fells. I just wanted to let people out there who have never heard of distributed computing that they could aid some great causes. It's good to hear that a lot of you are already helping.

Guest ViperX883

Ehh, let's not make it a Folding vs SETI war...

How many of you guys have jumped onboard and started folding anyway???