Cha and Ja, and other language ponderings

NavajoEverclear

Ch and J obviously sound different somehow, but when i say them i cant figure out what my tounge is doing differently. I wanted to know cause i'm making a language, and i want to know the base of the sounds. Also, what are some other sounds not used in the english language? OK i guess that is a huge range of possibilities, any good sites that document these possibilites?

Ch and J obviously sound different somehow, but when i say them i cant figure out what my tounge is doing differently. I wanted to know cause i'm making a language, and i want to know the base of the sounds. Also, what are some other sounds not used in the english language? OK i guess that is a huge range of possibilities, any good sites that document these possibilites?

If your going to make a language base it on something like esperanto, but please dont make another stupid language like english...

whats esperanto? I do agree that english is much in stupidity. So what about my question eh? ANSWER IT SOMEONE, or i'll send you to blorch

An international language, very well thought out with little grammatical problems and rules that are the same fro every single word.Like for example all nouns in esperanto end in "o".

Heres a site:http://esperanto.ca/kurso/home.htm

whats esperanto? I do agree that english is much in stupidity. So what about my question eh? ANSWER IT SOMEONE, or i'll send you to blorch

your question about Ch and J?

there does not need to be any difference in tongue or lip positions

in phonetics there is a difference between "voiced" and "unvoiced"

consonants

and between "aspirated" and "unaspirated" consonants

to make Tee and Dee you can use the same tongue position, but you must vibrate the vocal chords in your throat to make it a Dee

Dee is the "voiced" version of Tee

Also between Ch and J----like between Church and Judge

the J is the "voiced" version of the Ch

when you say Judge your vocal chords must already be vibrating at the start of the word

but with Church you wait---no vibration at first---and the throat only starts when you make the vowell sound "ur"

Between B and P the difference is "aspiration"----how much air you blow out while your lips are doing essentially the same thing

P is the "aspirated" version of B

--------------

so moral of story, everclear, is that tongue and lip positions arent the whole story----it was a "systematic" question: sign of an orderly mind? :)

so moral of story, everclear, is that tongue and lip positions arent the whole story----it was a "systematic" question: sign of an orderly mind? :)
Very well put explanation, Martin. Some people have a way with words, and others... not have way.