IBM successfully simulates cat cerebral cortex

Cap'n Refsmmat

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2009/11/ibm-makes-supercomputer-significantly-smarter-than-cat.ars

It appears IBM has constructed and programmed a supercomputer to simulate the neurons in the cerebral cortex the size of a cat's. It's not fully real-time yet, but it simulates 1.6 billion neurons, and has the ability to save its state at any time so you can rewind and see just what's happening inside.

Freaking awesome. The article points out that with a supercomputer just two or three orders of magnitude bigger you could simulate a human's cerebral cortex -- and imagine what we could learn from that.

well, they haven't structurally modelled an entire cat brain. that wasn't the goal. they have just simulated a collection of neurons that outnumbers that of a cat. given the right structural information, the computer would be capable of simulating an entire cat brain.

as for robot cats, unless they're 50m tall, powered by a nuclear reactor and have giant whiskers made of radio antenas then no, we can't have robot cats.

Hmmm, I'd like to see some very tangible result before getting excited about this. I find it hard to believe that you can make sentient or intelligent beeings by just hooking up enough neurons. Rather than building a cat-sized "brain", I'd prefer if they just simulated - say - a spider brain and connected it to a virtual 3d spider model with the ability to move around inside a simulated physical environment. If they could make this virtual spider act in a way similar to real spiders, including making webs, catching virtual insects and the like, then I'd get excited!

Cheers,

Mike

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.